Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fish's behavior is different amongst the others. He is acting as if he's a Freshwater specie and swimming to the surface for air? Is this behavior normal? Or is it a sign? Seems every time I glance at the tank he'll visit the surface, then i'll see him release the air seconds later.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That is more like cory cat behavior than tang. I have never had an orange shoulder so i don't know if its normal but i have 8 different tangs and none do that. is it doing anything else or show any signs on its body of anything? does it eat normally? How long have you had it? Any tank occupants seem to be bullying it?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
triggerhappy said:
That is more like cory cat behavior than tang. I have never had an orange shoulder so i don't know if its normal but i have 8 different tangs and none do that. is it doing anything else or show any signs on its body of anything? does it eat normally? How long have you had it? Any tank occupants seem to be bullying it?
I've had him for almost 2 months, he's the bully of the tank, he eats like a pig, his body changes color like normal white to yellow depending on lighting.

I don't do water changes like most reefers do, I've only done 2 in the last 2 months, I was wondering if it had anything to do with that?

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
are you running a skimmer? Lack of Oxegen, or poor water quality is my guess, and only a guess.
I've had a True Perc hang out only at the top corner of my tank for almost 6 months, i finally took him back to the LFS because he was so dumb.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
that's great to know as i would like to have one of these in the future and seeing how none of my other tangs do it i'm sure i would have been concerned when it started doing it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm curious what your water parameters are and I wonder if this may indicate that orange shoulder tangs require higher oxygen levels... How is your flow rate and do you have much surface movement?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
westmichrealtor said:
I'm curious what your water parameters are and I wonder if this may indicate that orange shoulder tangs require higher oxygen levels... How is your flow rate and do you have much surface movement?
Water parameters are excellent, PH is alittle low around 7.9, I have alot of surface movement coming from my return, small ripples on the surface, Hydor Koralia 3 and a Seio 620 that I rarely use nemore. The PH does indicate lower oxygen levels. Sounds like a normal behavior

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sounds like High co2 low oxygen content. Ph a good indicator. Our houses tend to be sealed up in the winter so even with the surface movement you may not be getting proper oxygen exchange. I have seen a clown fish do the same thing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We had a one that did that from day one, usually arround the edges. I'd say it's normal, he was healthy and very active... Right up till our clarkii chased him up and out... :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts