Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i'm fairly new to this been interested for over a year now done a lot of reading and watching plenty of online videos I just started my first tank about two-three months ago 12gal jbj nano cube dx I bought it off a guy that had it running for over a year pulled out his live rock and coral/livestock and left me with the water and live sand and the back wall is fully in-crusted in coralline algae now I have 9 pounds of live rock two small percula clowns around 3/4-1inch a small bubble tip anemone(hosted) two turbo snails handful of random smaller snails one sally lightfooted crab 1and1/2 inch and some zoas and pulsing xenia so far the tank has been doing great my crab molted a few nights ago after my last water change I plan on having a larger tank set up too move my clowns too in a few months Just wondering if you think this is overstocked and if not would it be safe too add a small fire fish or yellow headed jawfish and a sexy anemone shrimp

tips are always welcomed :)

-branden

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I dont see any problem with that. Make sure if you get a jawfish you have the correct substrate and random rocks or shells for him to make his burrow.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My only concern is lighting/stability for a nem in a nano cube and the sally lightfoot. If the nem looks healthy more power to you, it can be done just more difficult without a larger tank/strong lighting. I would personally get rid of the sally lightfoot asap. They can get vary big and very nasty. However, take this advice with a grain of salt - I don't fully trust any crab and my idea of a stocked 150g is 6 fish. Your tank - your way... That's the beauty of this hobby!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Call me conservative, but I believe that two clowns is more than enough in a 12 gallon tank. I think a 29 is more suitable. I wouldn't add any more fish to the 12 gallon unless you are certain you'll be upgrading in a month or so, as you say.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My only concern is lighting/stability for a nem in a nano cube and the sally lightfoot. If the nem looks healthy more power to you, it can be done just more difficult without a larger tank/strong lighting. I would personally get rid of the sally lightfoot asap. They can get vary big and very nasty. However, take this advice with a grain of salt - I don't fully trust any crab and my idea of a stocked 150g is 6 fish. Your tank - your way... That's the beauty of this hobby!
my nem is very healthy and has been doing great and yes iv been putting some thought into getting rid of my lightfoot as well maybe in the next week or so

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call me conservative, but I believe that two clowns is more than enough in a 12 gallon tank. I think a 29 is more suitable. I wouldn't add any more fish to the 12 gallon unless you are certain you'll be upgrading in a month or so, as you say.
I'll be upgrading the clowns and nem to there own personal 29 at the end of next month I also believe by that time they will have out grown the 12gal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts