Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
upgrading to a 120 and for some reason having many problems trying to get the perfect overflow/return system..... so right now im thinking about a 1.5" durso drain ( i think the flow ~1600gph) and either a 1" INTERNAL return or do you think it would be better to have an EXTERNAL return that would be split to provide some flow to the left and right corner of the aquarium? I was thinking about MAG 12 as the return pump..

Thanks for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is there any reason you want such high flow through your sump? If you really want to use the return pump as the tanks circulation than i guess it ok, but i feel that it is not needed. Your skimmer and sump will generally filter better with a lower flow through the sump (3-5 times per hour). All the flow in the tank can be done with prop pumps like the koralia, tunze, maxi jet sureflow mod etc. This is much more efficient and less of a pain. My 3 cents.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Onlycrimson said:
Is there any reason you want such high flow through your sump? If you really want to use the return pump as the tanks circulation than i guess it ok, but i feel that it is not needed. Your skimmer and sump will generally filter better with a lower flow through the sump (3-5 times per hour). All the flow in the tank can be done with prop pumps like the koralia, tunze, maxi jet sureflow mod etc. This is much more efficient and less of a pain. My 3 cents.
I would have to agree with this. You can pump all of that water np but you also will get alot more water evaporation. We have a mag 18 running on a overflow in the store and we get 2 to 5 gallons of evaporation A DAY. I have a different 100 gallon with around 800 gph running through the sump at the most and I have much better results. The tank I have the mag 18 running on the skimmer and refugium still seems to work well with algea growth in there. Its all a matter of opinion. We keep testing different ways out seeing what happens we you do different things. Again just my opinion.:D

brad

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great replies! Thanks!

I do plan on having some extra flow in the tank via koralia 4 and maxijet. I was just under the impression that the usual 600gph flow in regular overflows (aga) was something less than desired and that more flow would be much better. I figured that if i had the choice I should go with a higher flow setup.

I was thinking the return was goin to closer to 1000 gph, and i wasnt going to utilize the entire drain potential.. Correct me if i am wrong.. when it comes to the return, as long as I am not returning more water than i am draining I shouldnt have a problem..

Thanks again for the help-- i still dont know anything, just trying to setup a solid system. Would it be in your opinion to have a internal return via the overflow box or an external return via PVC ran outside the tank...besides asthetics.

thank again!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The sump should really be used for filtering and 10x or more throught the sump seems excessive to me. If you want flow like that just use a closed loop becasue you can do highflow without going throught the overflow.

As for the return i don't think it really makes a difference besides how it looks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts