Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building a DIY skimmer, however, limitations inside my stand, as well as my fuge are making my design pretty limited. I have searched and searched skimmer designs, artcles, you name it, and have not found quite what i am looking for. Here is my grand plan, please feel free to critique all you want, it is still in its infancy.

skimmer is going to be a counter-current design.

I am building a 1" pvc overflow to flow down to my 10 gallon fuge. I wanted to know if i could just run my 1" overflow pipe right into my skimmer, and have the water leaving my skimmer go into the fuge and continue on. was also considering maybe splitting my drain line, and running 1" to my fuge, and 1/2" to the skimmer, just so the flow was not so great.

If someone understands what i am talking about, maybe they can sketch me up something, point me to a design, or maybe some pictures.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yes you can feed the skimmer with the drain line. Port the side of the skimmer and feed it that way. Look to aqua euro recirculating skimmers if you want to see a good place to feed it in. You may want to split it, like you said, if you plan on using a larger return pump.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, right now im using my buddies tom, rapids filter, it has everything in one, overflow, wet/dry, and skimmer. after helping 2 friends build fuges, i decided i was going to DIY everything, already built the stand, canopy, retro halide and pc's, and kalk drip. Im trying to get everything done at once, so, atleast for a while, i can just enjoy my tank, and not worry about needing something else.

·
Registered
177 Posts
lilwillywilly said:
well, right now im using my buddies tom, rapids filter, it has everything in one, overflow, wet/dry, and skimmer. after helping 2 friends build fuges, i decided i was going to DIY everything, already built the stand, canopy, retro halide and pc's, and kalk drip. Im trying to get everything done at once, so, atleast for a while, i can just enjoy my tank, and not worry about needing something else.
Come buy and look at the foot print on my skimmer before you commit to doing some thing...It will be leaving soon and id like to see it go to a good home ............as it sits it will skim the s**t out of your tank and if we put a ball valve on the out let to raze the leavel in the chamber it will skim yours and Pats at the same time......let me no or it will go......you no how I roll bro...-devil

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wiz1500 said:
Come buy and look at the foot print on my skimmer before you commit to doing some thing...It will be leaving soon and id like to see it go to a good home ............as it sits it will skim the s**t out of your tank and if we put a ball valve on the out let to raze the leavel in the chamber it will skim yours and Pats at the same time......let me no or it will go......you no how I roll bro...-devil
you will be getting a call as soon as the wife gets off the phone. Oh yeah, i dig your avitar, kind of reminds me of you. -devil

·
Registered
177 Posts
lilwillywilly said:
you will be getting a call as soon as the wife gets off the phone. Oh yeah, i dig your avitar, kind of reminds me of you. -devil
Like we talked on the phone I think we can cheat this to run big time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts