Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for people that are/had used an Ozone Generator. Also did you use it with/without a ORP monitor? If using a ORP monitor, it is a $300-$350 price for the generator and monitor, so I wonder if spending that much is worth it. Is it like a UV filter, which gets dirty fast and therefore it's efficiency is very limited? I do not use any filter socks and I wondered if the ozone generator would keep my water clearer.

Dan

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ozone will almost always make your water clearer.

You'll want to make sure you're not putting dusty,dirty,humid air through it. That's why a lot of people use air dryers.

Other than that they're ZERO maintenance.

You don't really need an ORP monitor, but they certainly don't hurt.
Once your ORP gets so high, it really won't go much higher.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Dan mine will not push much higher than 330 right now and the jump from 320 to 330 took a while. It may make it higher but it's going to take a while.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
180, do you feel having one is worth it? Have you seen much clearer water or just a little? Do you use a filter sock? Thanks for the answer guys!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The clarity of the water is dramatic, there is nothing else like it that I've seen. Maybe some of the 1000 skimmers maybe able to polish the water but I've not seen any that result in the same effect. The cost to run it per day is just pennies at 13w. It makes any skimmer more effective at breaking down componds. I do not use a filter sock 1 of my returns feeds my skimmer and the other my refugium before dropping in my sump.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Dan,

I'm concidering using Ozone in my system. I don't know when - but soon.

Im having good luck with the carbon reactor - filter sock - and a powerful skimmer.

I can't complain about the water clarity yet.

However, I pulled the filter sock off the skimmer output - because the cheato is holding back the microbubbles from getting into the return area of the sump.

Let's do some homework one day on Ozone.

Have a great day.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention was,

I have used UV all the years.

I can't stand the fact that, you don't know if your using the proper flow through them.

You need to replace the bulbs minimum once per year.

They require a dedicated pump. Unless you plumb it into your return pump.

(I would not recommend)

They heat the water column.

That's why I'm leaning towards Ozone too.

Ozone can be regulated and controlled with a monitor - probe to find its peak operating performance for your system.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
dent, I agree with you i run UV it is a pain. A $60.00 bulb every year. There are some people onhere who have used ozone for years (Deb at DYI I believe). I may be worried for nothing but my filtration is in the same room as my furnace so I would not want it escaping and 1. Poluting the house environment and 2. Ruining any electronics. I am very unknowledgeable about it but I am very interested.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
slapshot said:
1. Poluting the house environment and 2. Ruining any electronics. I am very unknowledgeable about it but I am very interested.
These were my thoughts also. But like I said above, I don't know or understand very much about it...

I read some info on WWM, but didn't really understand it, even after reading. :confused:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have a unit that i used and it absolutely clears the water, it also is hard for me to contain in my setup and after a few weeks of use my family experienced more headaches than normal, since then i have stopped its use. IMO @ a minimum you must have carbon on the air exhaust and the water exhaust, i would also add an exhaust fan for the room while the Ozone unit is running just for the added safety.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have been looking into them as well. I know that you can put a bag of carbon on top of the skimmer to collect any escaping ozone. Just replace monthly. The other thing I found was that you can get an ozone generator for spa/hot tubs online for a fraction of the price of "aquarium" generators. Waynesreef uses an inexpensive spa king generator without any problems and has it hooked up to an orp monitor/controller. I think this will be how I'm going to set up mine.

BTW...Dent..your avatar creeps me out a bit, lol

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I do not do anything to vent the Ozone, it is injected directly into my skimmer, ozone only last for a while after it is injected. I've ran it in my system for years. My Ozone generator is in the same room as my furnace as well.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Baboon48 said:
Does anyone have pictures of an ozone machine working?
There would be nothing to show, it's just a box that air pushed through and an electrical charge creates ozone. Just like lightning does.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts