Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this mean they are reaching for more light??? Or is the lenghth of their stem have to do with the type of paly? I have a zoa colony (at least I thought it was a zoa colony) That seems to be reaching also, now looks closer to a paly. Any help out there??

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have some palys with pretty long stems about 5" under 175w halide, so I don't think they are reaching for more light in my case. What's your lighting? Any pics of the palys/zoas?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will post pics tommorow. Before and after. At both times they were under 175watt MH. The palys are pretty new, but the pics I seen of them befor I got them were no where near a large as the ones I have right now. These palys are HUGE! They heads and stalks are massive, heads the size of dimes, and about 2 1/2" tall. Dont look like that in the pics I have seen of them in other tanks (its the pif coco paly in the coral prop section)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I believe it is flow based on a previous experiance. Just an educated guess though. Try putting them in more flow and see if they shrink. Mine did.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have palys that cover a rock the size of a cantaloupe.. the polyps on top are normal (short).. the ones that are near the undersides had long stems to get light exposure - I assume - otherwise they'd be shaded.. the stems of these are more transparent.. i guess it's more transparent because it's stretching (like a balloon becomes more transparent when it's expanded)..

Mucho.. do you have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Maybe they're stretching to get away from that Aiptasia right there, j/k, lol. I think they're fine. Mine are actually longer than that and the heads are quarter-sized. Although they're not coco palys.... You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i think ive got those same palys. they look the exact same and they have stayed that way in two difrent tanks. r they like a blue/green color?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've read a lot that it's due to the lighting, but it could also be a characteristic of that pally. Usually I've seen pally's and zoo's stretch to get more light, and when placed closer to the light, shrink back down. Similar they'll sometimes get white spots or "specks" if in too much intense light. If you're worried, try placing them higher up in the tank.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not woried about them, but would rather they were shorter. Figured if they need more light, I would move them up, but if it was somthing else to get them to shorten, I would do that. As for flow, they are already blowing around, swaying back and forth pretty good. Maybe it is their characteristic?

Any more info is apreciated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My palys do that too. They dont change if I move them around. I think that is how this paly is. I have another rock with similar looking palys next to it and they have shorter stems.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Different palys will be different lenghts, same with zoas. But all will shrink down under higher light, and sometimes higher flow. Most corals actually will do this. Put montis or some acros in super high light, and they'll flatten down and kind of "table" out. Put them low in the tank, and they'll "reach for the sky".

A lot of times this will stop/slow thier growth for a while though. But once they're happy, back to spreading away.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx for the replies. Seems to me after thinking about it and reading the replies, it proboly is just the way the paly is suposed to be. Think it will look best in my tank closer to the bottom. Just didnt want to move it if it was wanting more light. Its already got alot of light and alot of flow, so that seems to = it wants to look like that in my tank. Thx everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts