Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lawnmower blenny from my favorite local store on Saturday. He was sort of huffing when he was in the display tank, and he was an easy capture for the store clerk...

Anyway, I have seen these little guys breath a little faster before, and I thought he would be OK. He made it about 30 minutes after a 30 min acclimation. He was so deep in the rock that I had to wait until the next evening to dig him out, and there wasn't much left to return, so I ate that $20 in record time.

My other 3 fish have been in that tank for months (two for years) and there are no ill effects on them, so I guess I chose wrong.

Anyone else have this happen in an hour or less?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were you able to return it? I wish I could have been able to get at this guy faster than I did.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nope, if I see any fish that looks sick or weird, I avoid them. Buy the healthiest fish possible. ie. At a LFS, there were 10+ male anthias and I chose the most dominant one that was swimming and active unlike the rest that were bunched up together.:cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
never within the hour..i have had a fish die in about 11 hrs...it was a CBB but ya i shouldnt have bought him and i knew i shouldnt have...that would have to be my record...a bad record

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does anybody know what LFS procedures when they bring in new fish? Typically do they add them into their systems that have copper to try and fight off parasites and diseases? I've always wondered that because if that is indeed the case these fish should be relatively healthy?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
cleaner shrimp died in oh about 15 min. I was rushed by my wife and wasnt able to acclimate so i just threw him in.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
sKuLLy said:
Does anybody know what LFS procedures when they bring in new fish? Typically do they add them into their systems that have copper to try and fight off parasites and diseases? I've always wondered that because if that is indeed the case these fish should be relatively healthy?
Every store is completely different on this - some do, most don't.

It's mostly a lot of the old "unbag-and-sell it as quickly as possible" approach at most LFS, some stores don't even acclimate their new animals:eek: . A few have some preventative treatment underway (but then you'll find reefers who SWEAR they won't buy fish in copper?!?!:confused: ).

Very few QT their fish (and not even a "true QT" at that...), and only a few have holding rooms where they can keep the fish for observation before selling...

The more/better your fish are treated (QT, meds, feeding) the more (often MUCH MORE) they will cost - just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never had a problem with this store (bought many fish here), and I am not blaming them in any way. These things happen, and I just hope it doesn't happen to me again :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Scooby Doo - You make great points and that is what I expected. I feel that is why it is the responsibility of the buyer to get to know your LFS and their workers and build up some amount of trust in their practices because if you don't you will loose alot of money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts