Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few reviews on Pier 701 ( most of them a few years old) I have found out that you either love them or hate them.
I am here to say I love them. I have only been in the saltwater hobby for about 8 months. They have never steered me wrong since going to them. I know that I have a beginners knowledge about reef keeping, but they have not taken advantage of that as I learn more. 90% of the stock in my tank has come from them and have not had anything die yet.
I have mainly dealt with just Joel (employee) and I ask a ton of questions every time I'm in there and he is patient and answers all of my questions (he loves to talk reef). He has saved me from making huge mistakes in my tank many times.
They have a limited stock of fish, but that's somewhat expected in mid-michigan. But they will order any fish you would like no problem. They have a HUGE selection of soft and LPS coral. Not a whole lot of sps but again, they have no problem getting it. I have also never seen such clean coral tanks. No algae whatsoever and everything looks pristine!
The dry goods part of the store has mostly used stuff but at good prices. Also another note on customer service. I bought a royal gramma from them a couple months back and I noticed it had rich the other day. I don't have the resources for a quarantine tank, so I called and asked them what my options are and they told to bring in all my fish (royal grammar, true perc, and sissor tails dart fish) and they will house and medicate the fish for me! The fact that they are willing to put in their time and effort for some small cheap fish really blew me away! These guys love their hobby. DISCLAIMER: they did say that they won't do that for just anyone, but they will for loyal customers, well they made one for life.
Overall I genuinely love this store and I'm in there about once a week. Great advice, great coral selection, honest and knowledgeable customer service.Again I know I'm new to the hobby and am not an expert, but they have treated me and my tank very well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Was in Midland yesterday and stopped in to Pier 701. There certainly isn't much for LFS north of I-69, so it was nice to stop in to see what was offered. The store is well laid out, with the front half being drygoods and the back half the displays. Drygoods were ok, with lots of used equipment and pond equipment (?). Thru the door to the back was 3 big vats of corals, several rows of SW and FW fish, and a couple huge display tanks.

Unlike the review above, many of the tanks were not so clean (algae, red slime), but the fellow that was there was working on them. A pretty good selection for the area. The vats use MH for lighting, and I get the feeling the bulbs don't get changed often enough as the colors on some corals were pretty washed out/brown. There were some huge specimens though, especially the montiporas, chalices, and a vat of the biggest, nicest goniopora I have seen in quite some time. Prices seems decent as well.

If you are in the area, it is worth it to stop in and check things out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts