Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 3 banded pipefish 2 weeks ago. I have them in a 29ga tank, bare bottom but with some live rock-live rubble and macro algae. The runt of the group became lethargic a few days ago and finally died last night. The other 2 seem to be doing fine right now and spend all of their time poking thru the live rock and macro algae looking for food (copepods?).

I've been breeding tiger pods and dump some in periodically. It looks like they'll eat the larger ones in the rock work and tend to ignore anything to small. I rarely (if ever) seem them eat anything in the water column.

They don't seem to be interested in live bbs or frozen bbs (again to small?). Cylopeeze gets them excited and they occasionally will pick at it. Today I noticed one of them going after some frozen mysis.

I'm interested in other people's experience with banded pipefish. What did you feed them? How often? How long did they live? How much water flow? How big of a tank.

Tom

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a Blue stripe Pipefish (which belongs in the same family, "Doryhamphinae"). I have a 29 gallon (30 x 12 x 18), I have a MP-10 running in reef crest mode full power roughly 1500gph @ full blast, He is always picking and searching for pods. I put Chaeto in my main tank just to help pods multiply, I've had him about 6 months I believe and only added pods once (the first month I got him). On reef2reef there is a thread about "ideal tempature", I keep my temp at a steady 78 with no ill-effects
I have not seen him eat Mysis shrimp, so to my knowledge he only eats living pods. Hope this helps :no: lol
P.s. Sorry about the pic he WILL NOT stay still.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts