Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The video is terrible because this is the very back of my tank in the corner so bear with it and pause it where needed. Thank you in advance everyone!

I am not sure what this is and would like help with identifying it. It came with some live rock and I am hoping it is not something nasty because it just so happens to be on a piece of rock I used for my base.

It looks like there is one large one and a slightly smaller one next to it. It looks like it is in a hole in the rock and I know that it extends out a little bit and I was able to "scare" it with my mag float and it retracted back into the hole but only the "stem" not its "head" I guess I am making up anatomy of this thing but I hope it makes sense. :wacko:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhg, I think you are right... That stinks.

I read that Berghia Nudibranch is a natural preditor, is it safe to add a few to my tank if I plan on keeping fish and coral? I can see two aptasia at this point but I do not want it to get out of control. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to get rid of them? I dont want it to hurt my clowns. ;(

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You can use joes juice, kalk paste, if anyone has a zapper in your area you could see if they would let you borrow it. you can try boiling water in a syringe and injecting it into the base/foot, peppermint shrimp is a gamble. Lots of methods but you want to get it now before they get out of hand

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yep, looks like aptasia. If it is possible to pull that piece of LR out, then take some kalk super glue and cover the area in it. I have done this with a couple easily removed pieces and it worked great. You could also try some Kalk paste and risne in a bucket seperate from the DT. The berghi nudibranch will work but, that is all they eat and will quickly starve and die once all the aptasia are gone. Or if, you can get your hands on an Aptasia Zapper. Anyway you look at it, get rid of them asap.

·
Registered
620 Posts
they're on point with their calls. I just had my first encounter with aiptasia on a frag i bought this week.

I researched MANY suggested treatments. the general consensus that i've gathered from several forums is that boiling water kinda works when you do it right, kalk paste works well, and will supply beneficial Ca to your tank, just dont get it on anything you want alive! An injection of kalk to the stem/base of the aiptasia also is rumored to work fantastic, and in less than 30 seconds! peppermint shrimp are also rumored to work well, the difficulty being many fish stores (including the kzoo area petco) label cleaner shrimp as peppermints... there's a difference. Myself, i purchased aiptasia X from my LFS. it came with a syringe and i squirted a TINY amount near its mouth and it took it, then immediately retracted, and another squirt on top of its head sealed the deal. A few seconds later he shriveled away. Again, that was a day ago, and I have yet to see long term results, but aiptasia x and joes juice are rumored to be two great manufactured solutions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright them boys, then let the battle commense!

I will inject them with some lemon juice tomorrow and in the meantime I just bought some Joes Juice from Amazon. I will see if I can get them nabbed soon enough before they go nuts in my tank. Do you think I should just yank the rock they are on even though it is at the very bottom of the rockscape and it would be a pain or just zap them and see what happens?

I dont want to over react to these but I also want them gone once and for all too. From what I read they are not able to sting and kill my clowns or myself so that is a plus if that is true. The only other things I have are snails and a few emerald crabs as this is a new tank.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I would pull the rock now before you get more fish and corals. They can potentially spread very quickly. You will be glad you took action now instead of waiting. You could always inject it and use Kalk past, double tap to make sure it is dead.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You don't need to pull the rock, they aren't going to multiply and spread over night. I have a couple aptasia in my tank that have been there for 2 months and I have yet to see any more pop up.

As for peppermint shrimp, they 100% work, but only if they are really hungry. I had a Biocube that I put live rock with aptasia all over it in with a bunch of peppermints and didn't feed anything to the tank at all. They devoured all of the aptasia, but in a regular tank where you are feeding fish and they can grab the leftovers, they won't usually bother going after the aptasia, because they can get enough to eat without it.

As for stinging, they won't sting anything in your tank other than possibly some corals.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
A few weeks ago i had this one aptasia nem divide into like a gazillion (okay maybe 15 and over the course of a couple weeks) so since it was on a small rock i want to bake it in the oven to kill them off. But my xenia was on that rock and i didnt want to get rid of it. So i took a small butane torch pulled the rock out of the tank. Fried them up. Put the rock back in. I got about half of them the first time and 3 days later i got the rest. Its been three wekks now, i think. The only aptasia in the tank now is this tiny on that is on a diff rock i cant take out of the tank. I was just going to put a wad of epoxy over him. That way in a million years i have a fossil.lol.

If its on a small rock that doesnt uave anything on it just put it in the oven. Fast and easy.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So i took a small butane torch pulled the rock out of the tank. Fried them up. Put the rock back in. I got about half of them the first time and 3 days later i got the rest.
LOL sounds like you had a little too much fun..... Ive always wanted a reason to use a butane torch.... Looks like I go one now!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Works wonderfully. And the.xenia that was ony an inch or so away didnt even know what happened

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I had a high power laser... I would have allll kinds of fun with that thing. kpow, bzzz, kapow. It would be like a video game. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts