Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really tight clearance under the main tank, and if I could plumb the skimmer outside of the fuge tank, it would be easier to dump the collection cup.
I know most people place their skimmers directly into the compartment that the overflow drains into. With the exception of a possible overflow from the skimmer, can the skimmer itself be plumbed outside of the tank (just for convenience sake) without any negative effect to it's performance? Does the extra plumbing reduce the flow of the skimmer's pump?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It shouldn't matter too much in terms of flow to the skimmer... unless you are pumping up and over a considerable height. You will likely lose a bit of skimming power but it may be better than not being able to effectively use the skimmer at all. Your primary concern is overflow issues. Just build in a drain and you should be set. And make sure to check the overflow container fairly often in case of overflows... if you have an ATO, the overflow will cause the sump level to fall, triggering the ATO. If it's overflowing for too long the salinity in your tank will begin to drop. Granted, this would take a while but it could happen. If the skimmer was in the sump, this would not be an issue because it would just overflow back into the sump and the water level would still remain constant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts