Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  AlleganReefer 
#1 ·
A strange polyp or anemone has popped up out of nowhere in my tank. There was none and then all of a sudden hundreds. A little description before everyone says aiptasia followed by how to kill aiptasia.
All are identical in shape and size
7 "arms"
2-3 mm
Clear
With gray ring around disc
Don't seem to be stinging

Sorry for bad photos, so small thy are impossible to get a good shot

#6 ·
I have a hypodermic needle and turn lights off or wait until automatically shut off and then start injecting themy all one by one with aptaisia X. It works for me. Inject directly into center. Until some of it oozes out.

Needles are just 50 cents at local pharmacy.

I find this method better rather than depending on shrimp or fish. Doest hurt to do both.

Good luck bro.

#7 ·
I got as many as I could with kalk paste but I gave up with that because there was literally hundreds in a 34 gallon tank. Plus, with them being so **** small they're impossible to get to. My first attempt at peppermint shrimp didn't work, they vanished over night. I am pretty sure they died and aren't just hiding. But the good news is I picked up another 2 peppermint from tropicorium on Sunday and by tonight they have cut the population down by 90%! So if anyone ever gets plagued by these mysterious little anemones, peppermint shrimp will eat them.
P.s if anyone can identify these with their actual name please let me know. They are not aiptasia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Mystery Solved!
Here's a crazy one for ya, I was breaking apart some rocks to get off some rock flower anemones I will be selling. These are huge RFA 5"-6" when open, so I was checking online to see where the market price was at...when I came across a page about RFA reproduction. This explained everything from the uniform look to the spontaneous appearance of thousands of these.
I thought I would share because I haven't heard of anyone experiencing this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.