Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has kept these alive long term? Liveaquaria has them listed as expert only. I picked one up that was eating pellet food, and I'm just curious why the high death rate?

Any input would be great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wonder why also I have had mine for 18mo or so. Fat, happy and not particularly shy. Eats pellets just fine, great little fish, picks at sps though, but so does my coral beauty. So far the clams have been spared.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Just speculation here but, from talking with several others in the past. I think it is more the initial adjustment and not so much long term. Seems that they are more sucbseptble to illness and disease in the beginning and some getting them to eat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have read a lot about some of the "expert only" fish, and it seems according to many that the Potters Angel is susceptible to mystery death. People claim that even after months seemingly good health, eating a good mix of prepared foods they might just die all of a sudden. I hope yours fares well, they are awesome fish.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just speculation here but, from talking with several others in the past. I think it is more the initial adjustment and not so much long term. Seems that they are more sucbseptble to illness and disease in the beginning and some getting them to eat.
From what I read they seem to die overnight seemingly perfectly healthy the day before.

I also read less than 5% in captivity will make it more than 1 month.

Though for liveaquaria to label it "expert only" as opposed to just difficult, seems crazy to me. Even other species like seahorses are labeled medium and difficult on there, not expert only.

Mostly curious if anyone has had the die in the night thing, and did they really not show any signs of illness before?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I had the mystery death. That fish was a model of health and ate like crazy. Fat. Nobody picked on it. Would come up to the glass for food. etc. Wonderful fish. Didnt pick on any sps. One day it just disappeared. Not a jumper. Just gone.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, that's crazy! Did you Decide to not try another at that point? And how long did you have it before it died?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Apparently they like to eat a lot of sponge and that can sometimes be a problem. That said, I did have one that was doing well on prepared foods for about 2 weeks. Then it just died one night. This appears to be their MO. Unfortunate because they are really cool.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wow at 18mo I'm ahead of the game. I have had a couple fish just go mystery dead. A yellow tang that was just dead in the morning, not a mark on it looked healthy even dead, lol. And a kole tang, pretty much the thing. Not a tang problem really because the sailfin,orange shoulder and powder blue were and are just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Hmm, that's crazy! Did you Decide to not try another at that point? And how long did you have it before it died?
No I decided against it. They are very pretty fish but can be hit or miss on coral munching. Got one that didnt, odds are the next would. I have it probably 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Had several of the Dwarf angels over the years and found potters, coral beauty's, and flames to be all similiar in temperment and hardiness.

I no longer buy angels because so many die en-route and I find it cruel, but if you want a hardy specimen then use common sense. Buy one from a retailer that's been eating happily for at least several weeks, and by all means make sure you're tank is stable and mature. Their ammonia tolerance is zero. Mine have never bothered corals, but that's not true of all dwarfs.

I also trained mine to eat dry pellets and freeze dried brine shrimp. Much improved health and consistent appetite this way, and all angels can be converted - even Atlantic cherubs. If you want to dump frozen waste in your tank with god knows what's in it, by all means do so. Even my Marine Betta quickly learned to eat freeze dried brine shrimp from my hand

·
Registered
937 Posts
I tried one back in the summer and couldn't get him to eat. Seemed to develop a parasite on his tail then within 2 days of that he died. Not sure how long he wasn't eating for before I got him but he died within a week of being in QT.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had several of the Dwarf angels over the years and found potters, coral beauty's, and flames to be all similiar in temperment and hardiness.

I no longer buy angels because so many die en-route and I find it cruel, but if you want a hardy specimen then use common sense. Buy one from a retailer that's been eating happily for at least several weeks, and by all means make sure you're tank is stable and mature. Their ammonia tolerance is zero. Mine have never bothered corals, but that's not true of all dwarfs.

I also trained mine to eat dry pellets and freeze dried brine shrimp. Much improved health and consistent appetite this way, and all angels can be converted - even Atlantic cherubs. If you want to dump frozen waste in your tank with god knows what's in it, by all means do so. Even my Marine Betta quickly learned to eat freeze dried brine shrimp from my hand
You never really answered what happened to your potters?

As for angels, I assume there has to be some care level differences, considering a flame angel is listed as "easy" and a potters "expert only" that's quite a big difference....

·
Registered
937 Posts
You never really answered what happened to your potters?

As for angels, I assume there has to be some care level differences, considering a flame angel is listed as "easy" and a potters "expert only" that's quite a big difference....
its all subjective. I think they miss label the skill level often but overall they seem consistent with most reefers experiences. I wouldn't say there is a level difference between most of the dwarf angels. Potters and Flame angels are both Hawaiian and south pacific fish and have the exact same diets in the wild and grow to the same size. If you have kept one IMO you shouldn't have issues keeping the other. Not so sure I would keep them in the same tank unless its a large reef.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts