Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
how old is the tank the brown junk looks like diatoms.
as for power heads i would look at the Hydor Koralia 2 there 600gph. 2 of them plus what you have would give you around 38x turn over. depending on what you plan to keep you may need more.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You could try one of those new sure-flow maxi-jet mods. Pretty cheap for 1600 gph. If you had one of these and kept your exsisting flow the same, you would most likely be good.

G

·
its a type of algae that happens when the tank is near the end of cycling. a couple of hermit crabs or snails should clean it right up for you.

G

·
sure flows with a MJ1200 is 2100 GPH...You need to send in to get it though...I would go with the korilia 2's as tom-01 stated..I think the MJ mod might be too much for the 50...I would get 3 of them & remove the 200 gph....Much better flow from the newer power heads..Not just a stream.

G

·
You are still moving the same amount of water with all of them..Actually the 400 moves 1400 GPH & the 600, 900 & 1200 move 1600+ GPH....MJ 400 use less watts to run & basiclly push the same amount of water...-devil

G

·
i guess ive always thought that the numbers were based off of what the Maxi 1200 could do. I thought to see about the flow through each of the other powerheads you would take 1600/ 295 (flow of maxi 1200)= 5.423.

Then i though you would use that number to find the flow of the maxi 900 and 600.

Maxi-Jet 900= 230*5.423= 1247.29
Maxi-Jet 600= 160*5.423= 867.68

im probably wrong, i just thought that the motors in the lesser units are weaker would produce less flow. I know that with my modded 1200 and 600 that the 600 seems to be a lot weaker, still nice flow, but weaker.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have two 1600gph in my 75g and I'm about to send in to get the upgrade to 2100gph for one of them. I just point them at the front glass and it diverts the flow. The actual stream from the mod is actually very spread out too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So do you olny send the UPC's? Because I was under the impression that you had to have the reciept also and I lost the reciept for one of them, so I was olny gonna upgrade one. Well if I don't need the reciept, heck its free! And if its too much flow I can just take one of the upgrades off!

G

·
i didn't have my receipt or UPC and just sent them an email and they sent me out 3 of the new props and also earlier I had requested the adapters for the original maxi-jet mounts and they sent those out to me also, free of charge. They seem like a really good company that stands behind their products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts