Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power went out about 845 this morn, now 945 I'm at work went home checked tank, everything appeared ok do far, called dte est power back by noon, from 10-12 this morn est back on, I put a 20 oz bottle of water at about 105 degrees floating to try and keep temps up, is there anything else I can do right now to help assure the safety of my livestock? I have my cuz at meijer looking for a battery op air pump, is 2-3 hrs going to kill everything??

·
Registered
738 Posts
No it should not kill everything you want to do what ever you can to keep at least one circulation pump going If possible! That is the best option.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No battery op pump at Walmart meijer or petsmart >:/ my gf is going to get more hot water at 11 and make a lil waves to create more o2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Solution

I went a purchased a generator to run my whole house for when my power went out. I was out of power for 27 hours and I ran the generator the whole time. Something to invest in for sure. Saved thousands of dollars preventing the loss of anything in my tank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apartment generator isn't really possible on 3rd floor :/ ughhh 3 hrs seems like days for the poor livestock, I just hope all is ok

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hey. If youre worried about oxygen there is a thing call top water circulation. All you have to do is find a way to aggitate the top of the water and it will allow for oxygen exchange. When i go fishing and use live bait i dont typically use a bubbler. I just circle the water around every half hour or so. Im not sure how this will work for.a large system. Ive only put it into practice with 5 gal buckets.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to dte, I'm right near you flytrout, they said 5-10 mins it's all done just need to do bla bla bla and power will na back, I have a 29 biocube with two clowns a mandarin a couple pepp shrimp and misc snails and crabs, hoping the 2.5-3 he's it was down doesn't cause any damages

·
Registered
674 Posts
Look into a battery back up power strip. They make them for your computer and have more than enough battery to run a small Powerhead/pump maybe even a small heater depending on the size of the battery backup.

I have a larger APC unit used for powering/backing up a server cabinet. My tank including lights is good for about 8hrs. 24hrs wo lights.

Good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I googled but they are slim on the info of how long they last, that's why I ask which one you got that lasts so long?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I googled but they are slim on the info of how long they last, that's why I ask which one you got that lasts so long?
It's HUGE and weighs about 100lbs!

I snagged it from a telephone company that was closing shop and replaced the batteries. It powered/backedup their main server cabinet.

The links I posted should be MORE than enough for a small ph/pump for a few hours.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I got ya, I'll have to check Craigslist too, I'd like to get a bigger one like you have just so I have NO worries of this happens again, pretty sure power is back up by now

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ok I got ya, I'll have to check Craigslist too, I'd like to get a bigger one like you have just so I have NO worries of this happens again, pretty sure power is back up by now
I would suggest you just buy a new smaller one to run a pump and heater.

If you get one off Craig's there's a good chance you'll need to replace the batteries. they are only good for so many cycles.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Half a day with no water circulation won't hurt a tank, even with a large bioload. However, if you have 20 gallon stocked like the goldfish feeder tank at PetCo then you could see a localized ammo build-up and fish will be stressed. So, then don't over-stock your tank, duh?

A bigger concern is temp. Loss of power in the winter typically means loss of heat. Those of us with smaller tanks can't retain the heat like 120gal, and rapid heat loss can cause huge problems with LPS and more sensitive fish. Ironically, SPS is far more tolerant of temperature drops than you'd think because of it's habitat growing near more variable surface conditions. Can get cold at night in the ocean in the middle lattitudes and surface water will vary to a large degree within 24hours.

Throwing a blanket over your tank will drastically help lock in heat. A 700 or bigger class UPS will run a small air pump for quite a long time. It will take a generator though to handle running a even a small heater because of the load.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think everyone in this hobby should have at least a small generator if possible, but in robs case he cannot. your apt will probably stay warmer longer than most houses so maybe a cheap alternative would be a battery bubbler namely put out by "pennplex" I love these and I have had a couple diffrent brands. It holds 2 d-cell batteries and will last many hours. I use one by having an airstone in my tank hidden in the corner and this plugs in to and outlet and when the power goes out it automaticaly comes on if your home or not! it can also operate by "battery only" and I also use them to transport fish safely.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome! I'll be ordering a battery op bubbler right NOW lol, was a stressful morning knowing all that money was sitting there with no heat or circulation, luckily all is well power came back and as far as I can tell zero damage, I did the hot water in a 20oz bottle trick and it kept the temps spot on with a nice heavy blanket over top of the tank, thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, my own fault for being I'll prepared in this crazy state lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
Maybe craigslist for a huge one with replaceable batteries but I wouldn't buy a small one on there unless somehow they can guarantee it's new, the batteries in those only tend to last a couple years and are junk.

The replacements are really hard to find, I have two or three sitting here all with bad batteries although they look perfect like new condition.

But that is your best option and just look at the run times with the wattage load and figure it out from that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts