Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to reefs and have a 29gal glass, 25lb live rock, live sand, some small aquarium pebbles, HOB filter, and a cheap powerhead (160 gph).

No fish or corals yet, but am close to starting....I would like the name and size of a decent powerhead to replace the one I have. It keeps slowly losing flow and there is nothing in the tank to cause it. Cheap, I guess. Any suggestions??

Also, what kind of lighting works best for me....Will have about 6 fish, some clean ups, and will add coral, mushrooms mostly.

I have a regular acquarium 17w 22" bulb.

·
Registered
937 Posts
best would be a vortech MP10 but if your not willing to fork out the cash then you could probably go with 1 Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerhead 750 gph if the dimensions of your tank are more cube. Probably a pair of Hydor Koralia Nano Powerheads 425gph if the tank is rectangle shaped. That would probably give you the best circulation and cut down on potential low flow areas.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
mp10 is worth less than the price IMO... having two pumps is always a major plus and you can buy two nice ones for the price of an mp10. reef keeping is much easier with redundancy on equipment, so if you can do two korallia or similar style propeller pumps you will be golden. Best case scenario for lighting would be a custom LED retro kit, but that is pretty high tech for a newbie.... a 29 gallon is a great size for doing water changes and for fish and corals, but it can be a pain to light properly. PC might work best, Halides tend to cook a tank that small and T5HO 24" is kinda annoying IMO. LED is the up and coming new thing, but there are very few fixtures that work good. Best of luck and welcome to the hobby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts