Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Probably Eggs

[STRIKE]They are probably eggs.[/STRIKE] Ew, sorry I didn't look at that picture.

[STRIKE]Peppermint shrimp can become pregnant often if there is more than one in the tank. Eggs are carried in the same area as the swimmerettes, that is between the tail and the abdomen, under the body. The eggs start yellowish-white like a standard file folder and turn to bright white as they mature.

Few of the nauplii (baby shrimp) will survive unless you catch them before they are sucked into the filter, skimmer or powerhead. You can raise them in a separate tank if you catch them though. There are many good articles online about this, but most people consider it quite hard.[/STRIKE]

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
That is definately not eggs. The eggs are carried under the tail, not on the side. Your shrimp probably has a parasite or something similar.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I was just reading the other day about parasites that will grow inside of shrimp and look really similar to what is in your pic. May want to look into it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, i found that the one in the picture does have something wrong with it. But my other peppermint in the tank is in fact carrying eggs and about to lay them at anytime. Gonna try to see if i cant hatch them. :D

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
They don't lay the eggs. The eggs stay on the shrimp until hatching. Peppermint shrimp are VERY difficult to rear - they do not just raise themselves. You would need specialized food for the larvae, and in most cases even seperate larval tanks for the babies fail.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
+1 peppermints don't lay eggs, they have the babies live. My peppermint have had babies multiple times in my tank, usually right after lights out. They go to the top of the tank and flip upside down and swim backwards really fast pushing out tons of babies.... hard to explain, but anyone who has seen it knows exactly what I'm talking about. Ofcourse, then all the fish come out and eat them......... that part is a bit disturbing...

As for your peppermint, that's definitely not eggs. I have a peppermint with the same bulge on it's side like that, and I have had it for 4-5 months, and it's still alive, regardless of what it is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol i realize now the one peppermint i have is not carrying offspring. And the second that is "carrying eggs" i cannot raise their offspring because im going to springbreak for a week and cannot have someone take care of them...so i heard the eggs are really beneficial to my fish/ corals, so im taking this route.
thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts