Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this hobby, (as some of you know) and I just received a shipment of LR with absolutely beautiful corraline colors all over it. My concern is bleaching. I have been told by a friend that it is inevitable.[-banghead]
Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to minimize this happening. I would be very grateful for anyone to help me save my pretty rock from turning into a mess of white gunk!

Thanx in advance!

G

·
The diffence is just that. If your corraline is bleaching then check your alk and Calcium. If they are fine then think about adding strotnium to the tank. It also happens if the rock is out of the water and exposed to light. while minimal bleaching does occur it should not bleach commpletely. FOllow those parameters.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I've heard that coraline colors are set up by lighting. The stronger the lights the lighter the color, the darker the lights the more deep the color. Low light tanks have lots of purples and such. Since you are not going to change your lighting just to make pretty coraline, I wouldn't worry about the bleaching. Throw the rock in and see what happens over 6 months.

G

·
Intense light will cause coralline to bleach out. For instance if you do a water change and repeatedly take out the same amount and expose the coralline to air and metal halide it will bleach.

· Registered
1,949 Posts
As long as you keep your Alk. and Calc. in order you shouldn't have any problem. I have bought cured and uncured rock that I ordered shipped directly to me and have never had a problem with the coriline bleaching. I have one tank with MH and one with PCs.

G

·
Again the limiting factors are thaAKL and CAlcium. Strotnium is also said to contribute to coraline growth. If you keep this high it should grow unless you have a tank full of clams and SPS sucking it up! my deam!

· Registered
996 Posts
no if you dont have the right mix in there they will starve and bleach out. and i was explaind stronium was like the sugar that activates the calcuim so the animals can use it. so i check it once in a while and add it. i have very good coraline growth and i have mh lighting. the top rocks dont have aton from the lighting but te undersides have it good. the accelerator helps in keeping it there. i like the marc wiess stuff as i used it per directons for a month and my coraline took off from there.

G

·
Strotinium is also used in place of calcium in skeletogenesis. If there is not sufficient calcium to assit with growth the corals and coraline will begin to utilize increased levels of strotnium. It is like if have low Blood sugar your body will swithch to the next source which is fat. Bleaching is also an effect of exposure to light esp if there is no water to diffuse it. I saw a pic of a tank that had a well demarkated border of bleaching that was consistent with the exposure D/T water changes. All the exposed coralline was white, just below it it was nice and red, purple. Both are contributing factors. But without the propoer alk and CA anything with bleach.. corals, coralline ect.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Re-reading this whole thread I ask myself if any of this is really neccessary? If you practice good reef keeping care(chemically balenced, water changes, no over feeding....) you should have minimal problems with bleaching or anything else for that matter. I would say be slow to throw in additives, there is no magic juice. All just my $.02. Good luck

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx to all for the input...so far is so good. Not much color loss, (barely a week yet) and lots of life already showing itself. All params seem to be in order, and all levels are where they should be for the moment.

Hopefully it will be frag-ready by July!!!

· Registered
234 Posts
well spoken hjmtv. i been scouring advancedaquist.com and reefcentral.com...there seems to be lots of questions with few answers. there was one paper but it was so far beyond my chemical ability.

thing is is strontium is contained in IO, RC salt & in Bioassay salt in smaller quantities and theres been ALOT of discussion on extreme levels of heavy metals in the aquarium including strontium when compared to normal sea water.
-chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.