Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 5-6 months I've had about 6 visitherm 300 watt heaters crap out on me. Most of them have worked for about 1 month and then no more heat. No issues otherwise, they just stop working. They are always in the sump where there are no fish and the heaters are not under rocks or anything like that. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm only continuing to use these heaters because VisiTherm keeps replacing them under warranty. But that is not really worth it anymore in my opinion.

Is there a reliable heater out there? If so, what is it? I've got a 120 for reference. Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had good success with Aqueon pros for about a year now in various freshwater tanks up to 90g (single 250W did great). I've only had them in my reef tank about 6 months now and so far so good.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
In the past 5-6 months I've had about 6 visitherm 300 watt heaters crap out on me...Is there a reliable heater out there? If so, what is it? I've got a 120 for reference. Thanks!
I gave up on them a few years back, and started switching to Eheim. Have been happy with them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
they had a recall on the stealth ones a couple of years ago and I had 3 of those so they sent me 3 of the visitherms. I think I would have rather stuck with the stealths. the three visittherms were dead in less than a year. I have titanium heaters in my other tank so I bought a couple more and they have been going good so far. I have eheims and like those as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've had 3 visitherms blow up on me. I bought one from aquatic discoveries back in the day, set up a 10 gallon to house a fish for a day (Christmas present) and the heater literally exploded and took out the front and back panel of the tank. Needless to say that mom was not happy about all the saltwater leaking through the ceiling of her bedroom. I took the heater back with the receipt, and Milt had argued with me that it was not bought three days prior. I eventually got my money back, but this has happened again and again with the same brand. In fact I had my last one crack on me two weeks ago in my larval tank. Never again going to purchase a marine land heater. I had a few sitting around in buckets for years and after the last one, I threw the rest away. I now use the eheim jager heaters, although I don't quite understand how to operate them with the blue dial and the red thing..... ugh, I should have read the paperwork. Lol. But the ehiems work great, been using them for a year and no issues what so ever. :)

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk 4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts