Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I broke down and finally got a skimmer. Now I don't have a sump or any other reactors or any of that. So, I just went the cheap route and got a HOTB skimmer, (SeaClone150) and this thing was half full after 2 days. My water has never been clearer. Should I leave it on 24/7?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Have you ever seen the discout tire commercial where the lady throws the tire threw the window? Comes to mind for some reason.....

:no:Most people do leave the skimmer running 24/7, a few turn it off for feeding time, but most just let it run non-stop. For maint, try not to clean it too much, keep it from getting plugged up, but a nice slime coat on the inside will keep it "in tune" monthly seems to work for me. If you are truely happy with it and got an awesome deal (and it somehow works better than any seaclone I have known) it does not hurt to soak the pump in vinegar for a few hours or a day every month or so to keep it at peak performance... should do that with all your submersible pumps honestly.

I once bought an visi jet protein skimmer for my first 29 gallon (1994?).. should have bought a $20 pet rock instead. :no: All jokes aside the seaclone 150 is a FAR better product than previous seaclone models, those were junk unless modified so beyond their original design you could not even figure out what they used to be anymore. There are a number of mods you can do to the 150 to make it a little better too, it is not that bad of a skimmer for a 90 gallon or smaller tank (75 heavily stocked). Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have it on a 90. I don't have a sump yet, I'm running a FX5 until I make a sump to fit under my stand. So it was one of the best ones I could find that would be a hang on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.