Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently cycling a small prop system in my basement. I had the oppurtunity to get some rock from a good friend (Raptor) who is leaving the hobby. The rock has a lot of pink and purple coraline on it.

After about 12 hours in my system my skimmer starts pullin this bright purple skimmate. The skimmer is a SWC 160. So far I've been really happy with it. Got home today and it's back to normal.

Took shots with my phone of the skimmate, thought I'd share them here. It actually looks brighter than the pics show.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cant say I have ever seen purple skimate before. Maybe it is due to the skimmer being new and is breaking in. SWC seems like they make a great skimmer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Purple

New seen purple skimate before either. I have the same skimmer as you do and nothing purple has come from mine. I do have to say however, that is the first skimate that almost looks tasty..lol...almost like a purple slurpee

·
Registered
937 Posts
odd... Did you recently change any medias out. Just trying to think what could have been in the water that was purple. seen blackish blue skim from carbon when not rinsed well and brown from GFO.

Is that the 150BMK skimmer?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hmm.... probably far off, but do you think he some how "colored" the rocks purple to give the effect that they are mature? That possibly that colorant is coming off into the water and the skimmer is pulling it out from the proteins.... kinda a rash thought, but thought I might share.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hmm.... probably far off, but do you think he some how "colored" the rocks purple to give the effect that they are mature? That possibly that colorant is coming off into the water and the skimmer is pulling it out from the proteins.... kinda a rash thought, but thought I might share.
My thought also, with the addition of your friends mature rock, possibly some coralline algae.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, its from the coraline. The rock was outside in tubbs when I picked it up Im sure its just die off.. Never doubted it wasn't that, just thought id share the pics. Thought was kinda neat.

It actually has a really strange texture to it. Stink pretty bad when I cleaned it out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
odd... Did you recently change any medias out. Just trying to think what could have been in the water that was purple. seen blackish blue skim from carbon when not rinsed well and brown from GFO.

Is that the 150BMK skimmer?
Yeah, its either the 150 or 160. Got a good deal on it from Luke. Had a chip but was basically new. Kinda cool, has an air adjustment on it to help fine tune like the BubbleKing I used to run.

Also running a EuroReef 150. I really like that skimmer. I'll have a good idea which is better some time soon tho. Ran the ER RS250 back in the day. They make good skimmers.

I do have to note that my old BubbleKing never pulled purple skimmate tho......haha.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think heavily coralined rock that got stressed (which means some die off), then into a tank with a very efficient skimmer and there's the purple. Most people don't skim so well on a cycling tank (mostly because most tanks are cycled before someone gets a good skimmer for the tank). Most people don't have so much coraline on their startup rock either. Cool looking skim. Exact color of coraline. I bet your pleased with skimmer performancethus far.

I have noticed very coralined rocks that I threw in a dark sump will keep most of the color UNTIL you throw them back into a lit tank. Then they bleach white and gradually color back up. I'm sure those pigments are in the water.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Try not dosing with purple kool-aid. Lol jk.
My first guess when reading the title was coraline too. Looks crazy.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think heavily coralined rock that got stressed (which means some die off), then into a tank with a very efficient skimmer and there's the purple. Most people don't skim so well on a cycling tank (mostly because most tanks are cycled before someone gets a good skimmer for the tank). Most people don't have so much coraline on their startup rock either. Cool looking skim. Exact color of coraline. I bet your pleased with skimmer performancethus far.

I have noticed very coralined rocks that I threw in a dark sump will keep most of the color UNTIL you throw them back into a lit tank. Then they bleach white and gradually color back up. I'm sure those pigments are in the water.
Exactly. I've seen coraline do that going from a t5 lit system to a halide system also. These particular rocks came from a system lit by AI leds BTW. Wicked pink to them when I stuck em under ATI's. Probably the prettiest colored rock I've seen in my years......

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you been dosing trace elements?
No. I use Zeo in my main system. Havnt started with this one. Only been runnin a few weeks.

This is def from the coraline.

I've actually heard of people pulling blue skim from copper dosed systems tho. Bet it dont look as cool as this tho:)

·
Registered
732 Posts
No. I use Zeo in my main system. Havnt started with this one. Only been runnin a few weeks.

This is def from the coraline.

I've actually heard of people pulling blue skim from copper dosed systems tho. Bet it dont look as cool as this tho:)
Nice. I also run ZEO. Love the colors.

The first thing I thought of when I seen the Purple Skimmate was Kents Trace Elements. When I dosed it in the past, I would get some bright purple simmate very simmilar to the pic.

Warmest Regards,
James

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have been using the BMK150 since October and honestly it has out preformed ever skimmer I have had in the past. Its a great skimmer for the money. Just so you know the difference between the 150 and the 160 is the body shape. The 150 is cylinder and the 160 is a cone. I been running my skimmer pretty dry so I have to clean the neck ever few days but the skimmate is awesome. Puts my old EV180 to shame and cost half the price.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. I also run ZEO. Love the colors.

The first thing I thought of when I seen the Purple Skimmate was Kents Trace Elements. When I dosed it in the past, I would get some bright purple simmate very simmilar to the pic.

Warmest Regards,
James
Fell in love with zeo years ago. Was full blown on last set. I believe I will never be without it in the future. Not full blown anymore, but use quite a bit of their stuff.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been using the BMK150 since October and honestly it has out preformed ever skimmer I have had in the past. Its a great skimmer for the money. Just so you know the difference between the 150 and the 160 is the body shape. The 150 is cylinder and the 160 is a cone. I been running my skimmer pretty dry so I have to clean the neck ever few days but the skimmate is awesome. Puts my old EV180 to shame and cost half the price.
Thanks for the input. Great to hear.

It's the 150 I have then. Really happy so far. If it outperforms the same sized euro reef I have, I will be ecstatic.

I've ran a lot of skimmers but never a cone. Came close with the BK SM250. Got a good deal on this so I jumped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts