Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a powder blue tang I have had for about 6 months. He is a great fish but recently lost my flame angle ( just disapeared and found a spine after a week so hes in the big blue heaven) anyway now my tank seems like there is a hole to fill. So i tried a coral beauty and idk y but the powder blue hated it and the coral never stood a chance. i tried to move it but it was to late. my powder blue had never showed aggression before. so my wife has wanted a yellow tang or purple tang but i know its bad to add the tang to a tank with an established tang. but i have heard that purple tangs can be more aggressive so he might just scare the powder blue away (had this happened when i put a lunar wrasse in with a six line there was some aggression but the lunar put up a fight and now they dont care about fighting) so just wondering if the purple would be ok since they are more aggressive. Any advice would be Great Thx.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Response

So i have a powder blue tang I have had for about 6 months. He is a great fish but recently lost my flame angle ( just disapeared and found a spine after a week so hes in the big blue heaven) anyway now my tank seems like there is a hole to fill. So i tried a coral beauty and idk y but the powder blue hated it and the coral never stood a chance. i tried to move it but it was to late. my powder blue had never showed aggression before. so my wife has wanted a yellow tang or purple tang but i know its bad to add the tang to a tank with an established tang. but i have heard that purple tangs can be more aggressive so he might just scare the powder blue away (had this happened when i put a lunar wrasse in with a six line there was some aggression but the lunar put up a fight and now they dont care about fighting) so just wondering if the purple would be ok since they are more aggressive. Any advice would be Great Thx.
How big is your tank? How old is your tank? Did you ever find the root cause of why you lost your flame? A purple tang is far to expensive to buy when your losing fish. Also while the tangs have a different form factor they will still compete especially if they are the same size until one establishes dominance. Keep in mid if your going with medium sized tangs you need 100 gallons or bigger.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
opps forgot to put tank size and stuff on. its 125 gallon reef tank (cant wait till i get my degree so i can upgrade). im not quite sure why my flame died i almost think it might have been from my sand bed got blown around after a small powerhead fell down. not sure if that was it but i never got to inspect him over. he also ate fine and had no problems prior so just going to place it in the MFD catagory (mysterious fish death). im not planning on getting the purple for awhile just wanted to see what you guys thought on the idea. oh and the tank is about 1.5 years old

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yelllow's and purples can be very aggressive once they have establish dominance in the tank. if possible you can try moving the rock around so the that the tank is unfamiliar and add two fish at the same time so that he can't focus all his attention on one fish. Yellows and purples should be introduced together or in schools. adding just one yellow now will almost diffidently cause issues. If you add two then they may tend more towards schooling.

Wish I had a purple. One of the most beautiful of all fish IMO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now what do you think would happen if i put a yellow tang and a purple tang in at the same time. would the powder blue tang be confused on which to buly and just leave them alone or would he fight them both and stress out even more? If it wont work ill keep the powder blue he has so much personality he will bite the glass in front of my face to tell me he is hungry and he will eat out of my hand. he also likes to strut around when show off my tank by diving in and out of rocks and making crazy turns. guess thats why i named him poseidon king of the sea.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Personally I think the powder blue will murder both of them. They are hard core almost without exception. If it smoked a coral beauty then its a real bad boy. That fish will simply not tolerate any tang, I could be wrong but I bet not.
My pbt has tolerated a few non tang fish, and it tolerates the fish that were present when it was introduced, including a couple tangs. BUT I tried to add a clown tang after the pbt was established and, well it didn't work out so well, the clown was headed back to the lfs within 15 min, with all fins split and scars on his sides. It was brutal (the clown did recover at the lfs).

Powder blues take no crap and have very bad social skills, once you have one in your tank you become very limited as regards new fish. If you try a new tang make sure it comes from a local lfs (so a return trip is easy), and keep the net handy you will likely need to use it. If the pbt shows serious aggression, just get the new fish out asap, it will only get worse. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but powder blues are as snotty as they are pretty.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Powder Blue tangs are known to be the green eyed monster more so than a lot of other tangs.. once they establish the tank as theirs good luck adding anything after that. I doubt any tang shaped fish would live long enough to get established with him on patrol. There are ways to even the odds, but no matter what it is going to be a pain for you and the fish.

A few fish play the scare game, Tangs play the "I am going to eat your liver" game

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
A few fish play the scare game, Tangs play the "I am going to eat your liver" game
LOL that is classic. Absolutely true.

I have a PB in with my sohal, and they do fine because they are equals on the grump level. In a tank that size, either or, not both.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
PB will devistate any new comer

Hey, I had a PB in my FOWLR tank. From my experience anything that will attempt to challenge for his tittle as "king of the tank" is doomed. Mine was willing to fight my foot long lunar wrasse and to the death if I didn't separate them. Neither of them would give... be very careful adding new fish of any species.

Jen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts