Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a sump. It has a small area for bio balls and seems to be mostly a refugium. I was wondering if someone could tell me how it works. I know how a wet/dry works and I understand that part. Past the bio balls is a square area. It only has one small hole opening into the side area. There is no opening from the bio chamber into this part. The side has baffles. One has a small hole the other seems designed for water to flow over it. At the front of the side chamber on the bottom is a baffle that is open at the bottom into the part where the return pump goes. Not sure how to make this run past the wet/dry part.
Wood Countertop Rectangle Floor Flooring
Furniture Table Blue Wood Interior design

·
Registered
753 Posts
I run this sump and actually just took it offline due to an upgrade. The smaller section in the first pic is your “refugium”, second where the skimmer and your choice of media, both sections dumping to the return. I forgot your question now that I get into it, lol. Personally I wouldn’t run bio balls, I threw sand in it couple pieces of rubble, some macro algae and light it in the off cycle, my skimmer housed the bigger space and I used 200 micron felt in the tray, when I needed to treat for phosphates, I took it out and dropped in a media reactor. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. A few more question. There is a pool behind the bio ball area. It looks like thats all it is. It has a small hole leading to the side chamber. I guess the first chamber in the side is for a protein skimmer. The next chamber has a small hole on one baffle close ro the bottom. The other baffle has no hole it looks like the water is supposed to spill over it where it finds its way into the return pump chamber. I am jist wondering how water in the refugium cycles. The chamber behind the bio ball area only has the small hole into the side chamber. So how is the refugium fed? Something has to force the water over the last baffle and somehow water needs to feed to keep it running.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Maybe this will help? In from tank on left, out on right.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help. Mine has a little acrylic clip with a hole in it. I ran the flex tube through it into the sump. This is a nice refugium/wet-dry.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That is awesome! I am with ya, great sump. I am having a hard time deciding to just keep mine as a backup. like the divide of the refugium, just wish they came in bigger models 48”+. The drain compartment is very limited when hard piping and needs room for todays roller mats. Happy reefing….

·
Registered
753 Posts
Also forgot to mention, I have a decent light that fits the top of the fuge area. Free if you wanted it. Coral life 2 bulb in off white I believe, just pm me if you want to chat lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts