Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
start with about 20 hermits, 12 astrea/margarita snail, 1or 2 turbo snails, and a shrimp (cleaner/Peppermint). that should get you started.
+1
To add to this, I would go with Scarlet Hermits. They are a bit more expensive but are generally the most reef friendly. If you order from Reefcleaners.org. I would pic up a couple Fuzzy Chittons as well. I believe there is a Thread for a group buy going on right now. Save on shipping that way if its in your area. And cheaper if you can get enough to get free shipping, otherwise go to a LFS or get some from someone breaking down there tank. Aslo, I wouldn't have a tank without Nassaius snails. There are a couple different ones, basically one stays relatively small and the other grows to about an inch. Both are good.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
start with about 20 hermits, 12 astrea/margarita snail, 1or 2 turbo snails, and a shrimp (cleaner/Peppermint). that should get you started.
You shouldn't need that many snails. I have 2 turbo snails in a 90 and a handful of hawaiian strombus (which are about 1/4"). If you need 12 astreas and 2 turbos in a 55 something is off in your water chemistry (not saying this about your tank dputt, just that he shouldn't need that many).

Also keep in mind that a cleaner shrimp will bother your corals at feeding time. I got rid of mine for this reason. I do have 3 peppermints though - they are great scavengers.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I only recommended 12 because they have a tendancy to get knocked over and not flip right side up again. My own observation. The shells are then used by hermits. I figured 12 now would make for some time befoee needing to replace. If ever needed.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.