Michigan Reefers banner
824 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CCROCKS 
#1 ·
I have a new 55 gallon setup, and wanted to use a free 50 gallon that I received as a sump for it, but also as a frag tank. Has anyone set anything like this up before? I was hoping to section off the tank by installing acrylic baffles, leaving an area about 20" to layer in eggcrate for frags. This would leave 28" to play with. The tanks are both on stands, sitting side by side. I'm also not sure what pump, internal/external, size I should use for a return since I'm sure the frags will need decent flow also. :confused:
(Also might by good to note that my skimmer is a Remora aqua c)
Any help is appreciated!

#3 ·
With 48" you could have enough room for a refugium also.

1. First chamber is water in and protein skimmer. Say about 8".
2. Second is a bubble trap. Say 3 inches. Make sure there is enough room between the baffles to get a scraper in between.
3. Third is the refuguim. say about 12 inches. I would make this a movable baffle. So you can increase and decrease the size as needed.
4. fourth is the Frag section. Say about 13 inches.
5. Fifth is the Pump return section. Say about 12 inches.

Pro's are you are gaining Macro algae. Con's Smaller space for frags.

You could gain more space by drilling the 50 and putting an external pump on it.

How are you going to get the overflows to drain into the sump? One tank wants to be lower than the other.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. The 50 is a bit lower than the main tank, about about 4-5 inches. I think I'll add in a refugium also.

Do you know how to make a movable baffle? I already bought the acrylic, but I still need to cut it down, so I have time to plan everything out still.

For the pump return area, is it recommended to put anything in there, or just leave it open? I'll have some LR leftover that I can put in that area.
Thanks.

#5 ·
The way I would do it is think of 2 "C" clamps, one on each side. So, get a piece of plastic and cut a slot wider than the "lip" of the aquarium. Tap on end with a #10 and a nylon screw to hold the clamp in place.

Now get a baffle that fits close to the inside width. Glue the plastic clamp to the acrylic or screw. Make the baffle long enough to stick into the substrate. The center of the baffle will have to be cut out. That will set the height of the water..

This should work. There is one possible problem. It might leak a little on the sides. So placing the macro algae down stream of the frags will help with picking off seaweed the frags.

#6 ·
you don't mention what the tank is made of. It might be hard to get acrilic and glass to bond using silicone. If the tank is acrilic then fine if glass you may want to use glass baffles. the return could be smaller depending on how much water in the return to keep from overflowing the sump in case of power outage. Just my thoughts maybe someone else has other thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.