Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 9 year old son has really gotten into my reef tank, one of the fish he really likes is blennies, as do I. I have had 2 blennies before(previous tanks) and they would fight a bit but nothing really to rough. So my son puts on his little reefin list he wanted a tribal blenny, a starry blenny and a midas blenny. So first we buy a tribal and a starry, they end of best friends, swimming around together, perching on the same rock, etc. Last week I see a midas blenny, and I said what the heck, and bought it also. Now all 3 of them are like a little clan, always on the same rock or same area, no fighting whatsoever. Everything I have read previously was one blenny per tank, unless you have a bigger tank, than maybe 2. We have a 110 and all our blennies are best buds. So, it made me interested to see if anybody else out there has had success with fish you shouldnt keep together, or fish you shouldnt keep in a reef.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm successfully keeping 2 regular Ocellaris Clownfish, 2 Black clowns, and one Tomato clown and no fighting. Also keeping 5 different tangs in the same tank with no fighting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tangs?

I'm successfully keeping 2 regular Ocellaris Clownfish, 2 Black clowns, and one Tomato clown and no fighting. Also keeping 5 different tangs in the same tank with no fighting.
interested in what types of tangs you have. I have 2 right now a chocolate and a purple and they get along great, was thinking about adding one more, maybe a powder brown, but might not stretch my luck with tangs like i did with blennies

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Now that is impressive! How long have you had them? Are they hosting? Are they breeding? Did you put them in all at the same time?

Clownfish are my favorite fish! I wish i could have more!

From what I have read, things tend to be much more lenient until one pair starts laying eggs... but of course there are always the exceptions. I tried 2 pairs of clowns, 1 orange pair, one black pair, and even though I had 5 or 6 hostable anemones, the black clowns just wanted to take over the whole tank! The orange pair could of cared less about the black pair, but I guess it just depends on the fish.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Recently my 9 year old son has really gotten into my reef tank, one of the fish he really likes is blennies, as do I. I have had 2 blennies before(previous tanks) and they would fight a bit but nothing really to rough. So my son puts on his little reefin list he wanted a tribal blenny, a starry blenny and a midas blenny. So first we buy a tribal and a starry, they end of best friends, swimming around together, perching on the same rock, etc. Last week I see a midas blenny, and I said what the heck, and bought it also. Now all 3 of them are like a little clan, always on the same rock or same area, no fighting whatsoever. Everything I have read previously was one blenny per tank, unless you have a bigger tank, than maybe 2. We have a 110 and all our blennies are best buds. So, it made me interested to see if anybody else out there has had success with fish you shouldnt keep together, or fish you shouldnt keep in a reef.
and that's sweet too! I love hearing people who are able to do the no-no's with no problems!

I have 2 mandarins (different species) and a scooter blenny that could care less about each other as well. I have read the same thing, one per tank unless mated pair, or very large tank.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I added them when they're small juveniles. I *did* put an anenome in there and it did cause problems. I took the anemone out and everyone was getting along again. None of them are breeding, (that I've seen) but the tangs I jave are, Scopas, Vlamingi, clown, powder brown and a hippo. No fighting, but the only thing is they're getting big. I'm having trouble controlling nitrates right now. So, I'm either going to sell or trade for newer models.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I added them when they're small juveniles. I *did* put an anenome in there and it did cause problems. I took the anemone out and everyone was getting along again. None of them are breeding, (that I've seen) but the tangs I jave are, Scopas, Vlamingi, clown, powder brown and a hippo. No fighting, but the only thing is they're getting big. I'm having trouble controlling nitrates right now. So, I'm either going to sell or trade for newer models.
im going to upgrading to a bigger tank, so I might be interested.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maroon clown

i have a 4 inch gold stripe maroon clown and 2 inch perc clown living together, perc was added 2 years after the maroon...
definitely one thing I always hear when I have talked about different types of clownfish together is ...you can have alot of different clowns together, but dont try anything with a maroon, they will beat it to a pulp, glad to see yours worked out and you even added to other clown after the maroon. So do you have an anmone in the tank also?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
off topic

im going to upgrading to a bigger tank, so I might be interested.
Katy, i see you also have a 110, which is the same size as mine, I was also thinking about going a bit bigger, however I spent alot of cash on equipment that is specific or close to itto this size tank (LEDS, skimmer, etc) and its all pretty new. Are you going much bigger? I was thinking maybe a 135 wide where most of my stuff will still work Just curious?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sometimes it just depends on which fish went in first, for instance you can add a powder blue tang in with most other tangs (usually) but you can practically never add another tang to a tank with an established powder blue, or clown tang or sohal. I have 2 dwarf angels in my 180g, but they were added at the same time and similar in size. I have no doubt that another dwarf angel would get murdered if I tried to add it now.

I'm very surprised that an established maroon clown allowed percs to be added, but sweet!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Katy, i see you also have a 110, which is the same size as mine, I was also thinking about going a bit bigger, however I spent alot of cash on equipment that is specific or close to itto this size tank (LEDS, skimmer, etc) and its all pretty new. Are you going much bigger? I was thinking maybe a 135 wide where most of my stuff will still work Just curious?
I'm trying to go 175-200.... Will probably keep the same skimmer, and upgrade later. I can't see upgrading unless i go quite a bigger :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I agree, would like to go to a 300..lol, just cant seem to get my wife to buy into that theory
LOL! Well my husband wasn't for the idea either, until I had a little leak of one of my hoses and spilled a bunch of saltwater on my floor, and it is under my tank and stand, and we have hard wood floors. So the floors are literally rotting as we speak! Sooooo he wanted to pay to get the tank moved off this floor and into another room to let the floor dry.... Well me being quite the opportunist, lol, I mentioned as long as we have to move the tank.... Maybe I should just get a bigger one...... He must of been delirious because he said ok!! Lol, and once I get the ok, there is no going back! Haha. I guess when I want a bigger tank again, I just have to have another "accidental" leak ;-)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
accidental leak

LOL! Well my husband wasn't for the idea either, until I had a little leak of one of my hoses and spilled a bunch of saltwater on my floor, and it is under my tank and stand, and we have hard wood floors. So the floors are literally rotting as we speak! Sooooo he wanted to pay to get the tank moved off this floor and into another room to let the floor dry.... Well me being quite the opportunist, lol, I mentioned as long as we have to move the tank.... Maybe I should just get a bigger one...... He must of been delirious because he said ok!! Lol, and once I get the ok, there is no going back! Haha. I guess when I want a bigger tank again, I just have to have another "accidental" leak ;-)
hmmm, the accidental leak gameplan..and it worked, lol....might try that this weekend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts