Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read very mixed things about having urchins in a reef tank. I was wondering what was some of your opinions and experiences were. I am just beginning reef keeping so pls be patient if I ask a lot of questions lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Urchins are cool little creatures and some can be a welcomed inhabitant to a reef aquarium. The term "Reef Safe" is a fluid term, and it can have many different meanings. It generally means that they wont eat coral or invertebrates.

This being said, most consume large amounts of algae that you may want, I.E. Coraline Algae... Also in my experience, they are worse bulldozers than turbo snails. For those two reasons, I choose not to keep one in my aquariums. The fact that they are venomous is also a good reason not to own one of these neat looking little creatures.

Now that I have posted the bad, hopefully some reefers who enjoy keeping them can come on and post the "Good"...

Happy Reefing!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Make sure you have enouh room for you urchin. I had a long spine. Bought him real small. Not to much later he was huge. Absolutely huge! Had to sell him back to the fish store. ( barely fit in the bottom of the 5 gal bucket i put him in.) :( my bangai cardinal loved that urchin. Ans so did i. They need alot of food and space. I actually made money off him but id rather have the urchin.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I added a purple pincushion to my tank tonight. This variety is not venumous and supposed to feed strictly on algea. Yet, I have caught him twice on my coco worm tube already tonight. He may just be trying to suck the algea off the surface, but it's damaging the tube. I've moved the coco worm in response. I'll post back in a couple days with a report of the success/failure of adding this urchin to my tank. Very cool to watch move though.

Here's the link of my thread with pics.

http://www.michiganreefers.com/foru...ea-urchin-wants-eat-coco-worm.html#post954338

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have what I think is a Rock Boring Urchin in my 90 gallon. It is pretty cool. I only see it about 50% of the time. It does eat a lot of Coraline Algae though. I did epoxy my rocks together too, so I haven't had any problems with it knocking anything over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.