Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because I don't really know where else to post it. Anyway, here's the deal.....
I have a 46G Bow Front that will be a year old in February. I'm currently, and have been running it with a Cascade cannister for the life of the tank. My neighbor built a nice canopy that has a 150w Metal Halide and 2-96w PC's. I am now thinking I would like to run the tank with a refugium set-up and don't have the first clue as to go about doing this. Ideally, if I could find a local (I'm in Dearborn Heights) fellow reefer that would be willing to donate some time to help me would be the perfect scenario. I have a 30G tank that I could use but it may be too big to fit in my stand and If I need to purchase another tank for it then that's what I'll do. Another question is could I set this up without having to drill my tank? if I would be able to run the plumbing up the back wall and go into the top. If you're thinking to yourself "does this guy even have a clue?" The answer is no, I do not! If I have failed to include any vital information you need it is due to a lack of knowledge. Any feedback you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I adde a fuge to mine. I had the tank drilled. I dont see how this could be done without. The water returning to the fuge is done by gravity. Im thinkin you would need some sort of pump to get to the fuge and another back up to the tank. I can only imagine if one of the two gave out. Flood serious over flow. This is just my opinion interested to see if someone has done this good luck.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
It's not that hard to have a refugium without a drilled tank, you can use a HOB overflow. or you can make your own with PVC. Either way it's not impossible. If you would like to come up this way I can help you build a refugium and show you my PVC overflows.

BTW, you do not need 2 pumps. Only a return pump. The Overflows (PVC and Store bought HOB) are both designed not to lose their siphon in the case of a power outtage.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have a HOB overflow on my tank. (wish i would of drilled though) Works great until maybe a snail or something blocks the U tube, but its never happened yet (knock wood). You can easily make one out of PVC or buy a store made one. I would stay away from the CPR type that uses a pump though. Just something else to fail

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a 46 Bow, non drilled tank and it works just fine. I took some precautions. My fuge is housed on the backside of my wall that the tank is on, which happens to be my laundrey room. I have a DIY acrylic sump/fuge, which is about 20g insde of a 32 gallon rubbermaid. The Rubbermaid was for trial and error to find out if it was truely possible to overflow my sump and because it's blue and I can actually put a cover on it to prevent evaporation somewhat.
I have a lifereef overflow that drains through the wall and into the sump. A Mag 7 running out of the sump to a check valve, (which will prevent the backflow in the event you have a power outage). Both incoming and outgoing have Ball Valves, to match input and output. I have even come to the second precaution as to hook up a battery backup to my return pump, so that it doesn't stop all together. I have stopped the pums and verified with my setup that I can't overflow. Besides, it's only a 46 G and the top of the overflow sits a half an inch below the surface. The box is not a continuous syphon of your entire tank.

All in all, a drilled tank would be nicer to have so that you don't have the annoying big box and 1" bulkhead coming into the tank, less cluter is better.

Good Luck and I was in your shoes 6 months ago, not having a clue where to start. There are a lot of experienced and good people on this forum and don't listen to just one person, shop around...

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a 46 Bow, non drilled tank and it works just fine. I took some precautions. My fuge is housed on the backside of my wall that the tank is on, which happens to be my laundrey room. I have a DIY acrylic sump/fuge, which is about 20g insde of a 32 gallon rubbermaid. The Rubbermaid was for trial and error to find out if it was truely possible to overflow my sump and because it's blue and I can actually put a cover on it to prevent evaporation somewhat.
I have a lifereef overflow that drains through the wall and into the sump. A Mag 7 running out of the sump to a check valve, (which will prevent the backflow in the event you have a power outage). Both incoming and outgoing have Ball Valves, to match input and output. I have even come to the second precaution as to hook up a battery backup to my return pump, so that it doesn't stop all together. I have stopped the pums and verified with my setup that I can't overflow. Besides, it's only a 46 G and the top of the overflow sits a half an inch below the surface. The box is not a continuous syphon of your entire tank.

All in all, a drilled tank would be nicer to have so that you don't have the annoying big box and 1" bulkhead coming into the tank, less cluter is better.

Good Luck and I was in your shoes 6 months ago, not having a clue where to start. There are a lot of experienced and good people on this forum and don't listen to just one person, shop around...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Vivaborg said:
I have a HOB overflow on my tank. (wish i would of drilled though) Works great until maybe a snail or something blocks the U tube, but its never happened yet (knock wood). You can easily make one out of PVC or buy a store made one. I would stay away from the CPR type that uses a pump though. Just something else to fail
And does. I have 2, one for the fuge, and one for the main tank. If you lose power and it comes back on good luck if it works and doesn't overflow onto the floor. Happened to me more than once. I am in the process of tearing down the tanks and setting up a frag tank to hold everything while I have these drilled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts