Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 90 gallon tank and I am trying to decide how I want to set-up my refugium. I've read countless posts, but I want to "see" more pictures of successful refugiums.

So, if anyone has some pictures of refugiums/sumps, I would appreciate it as I am struggling to find a design.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I'm also looking to make my first sump/fuge and your link will be a great help thanks for putting that up Tom ..
I may be bugging you in the near future..:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
I custom built my from a kit on Ebay, sounds kind of cheap, but it works awesome. They supplied the parts and I did the gluing. I couldn't find one with a big enough footprint for my skimmer. I have been running this one for about 6 months now and growing all kinds of goodies. I would recommend having a large return compartment compared to mine, due to evaporation. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks people. I have decided on my refugium setup. I am going to have the drain go directly into the "refugium" part of the refugium and put my skimmer in this same compartment as my return pump. I am then going to run the plumbing from the Euro Reef RS135 back into the refugium. Having this setup will give me significantly more area to have my sandbed, live rock, chaeto, and other biological filtration. I thought a serparate compartment containing just the skimmer was a waste of space. This setup was recommended to me by Steve at Pruess'.

blammomike, what are the dimensions of your refugium and what do you have in there for filtration?

PPi, your setup look very good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
carbon ,pro skimmer, uv,lots of mirco alage some live rock 5-6 cleaner clams,it is a CPR Aquafuge Pro,Recommended tank size: up to 120 gallons.
Water Capacity: 17 gallons
Dimensions: 31" x 12" x 14.5"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
here's mine-



left section is drain with a filter sock and skimmer

middle is fuge with lr rubble, chaeto, 2 reactors(carbon,gfo), spraybar for flow in fuge

right section is return with ato float switches and heaters.

After seeing what collects into my filter sock i would never let all my drain water dump into the fuge. I know a lot of people split the drain so some of it goes into the skimmer section and some into the fuge, but i have always had better luck this way. Good luck on your new sump:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
detroit_fan, what kind of lighting do you have over your refugium? I planned on putting a sock on my drain, but how big should the sock be? Yours appears to be pretty large..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Baboon48 said:
Thanks people. I have decided on my refugium setup. I am going to have the drain go directly into the "refugium" part of the refugium and put my skimmer in this same compartment as my return pump. I am then going to run the plumbing from the Euro Reef RS135 back into the refugium. Having this setup will give me significantly more area to have my sandbed, live rock, chaeto, and other biological filtration. I thought a serparate compartment containing just the skimmer was a waste of space. This setup was recommended to me by Steve at Pruess'.

blammomike, what are the dimensions of your refugium and what do you have in there for filtration?

PPi, your setup look very good!
The only flaw in this design is you need to have a bubble trap of some sort between your skimmer and pump or you will be pumping micro bubbles into the display. At a minimum I would make sure to turn the exiting water of the skimmer away from the pump to allow it to dissapate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
champ128, to avoid the micro bubbles of the skimmer getting into the return pump and into the main tank, I am going to plumb the water that exists the skimmer back into the refugium. I am going to put bioballs between the baffles that separate the 2 compartments. Basically, my return pump and skimmer will be on the right side of the refugium, and the water from the skimmer will go back to the the left side of the refugium. So, some water may go through the skimmer twice which is okay with me.... The bioballs should eliminate any micro bubbles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Baboon48 said:
champ128, to avoid the micro bubbles of the skimmer getting into the return pump and into the main tank, I am going to plumb the water that exists the skimmer back into the refugium. I am going to put bioballs between the baffles that separate the 2 compartments. Basically, my return pump and skimmer will be on the right side of the refugium, and the water from the skimmer will go back to the the left side of the refugium. So, some water may go through the skimmer twice which is okay with me.... The bioballs should eliminate any micro bubbles.
putting bb in a baffle can be a pita. using bb at all really doens't make much sense in a reef tank imo. as for my bulb i was using a 6500k cf bulb from home depot, but i just switched to this-

http://www.1000bulbs.com/19-Watt-Weather-Proof-P38-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/2778/

the filter socks i use are form DF&S. the 7" ones. i have them mounted using a holder-

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
detroit_fan, So do you think I should put a filter sock on the end of the plumbing running from the skimmer?

Are bioballs a PITA even if I change them every month?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Baboon48 said:
champ128, to avoid the micro bubbles of the skimmer getting into the return pump and into the main tank, I am going to plumb the water that exists the skimmer back into the refugium. I am going to put bioballs between the baffles that separate the 2 compartments. Basically, my return pump and skimmer will be on the right side of the refugium, and the water from the skimmer will go back to the the left side of the refugium. So, some water may go through the skimmer twice which is okay with me.... The bioballs should eliminate any micro bubbles.
Sounds like a great idea, please post pics when completed, I would like to check it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Baboon48 said:
detroit_fan, So do you think I should put a filter sock on the end of the plumbing running from the skimmer?

Are bioballs a PITA even if I change them every month?
It is possible to keep the bio balls clean, but i really see no need to use them in a reef tank, especially if they are being used as a bubble trap. If you want to drain some water into the fuge i would do 3 sections in the sump and split your drain into 2. Run 1 of them to your drain section where it gets filtered through a filter sock, and have the other drain empty into the fuge. Put a valve on the fuge drain so you can controll how much of the tank water goes into it. The key to microbubbles is never pull them from the surface and keep the flow thru the sump very low. If you do 3 sections in the sump you can keeo teh return section very small and use an ato to keep water level correct, and still make a big fuge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
Here is the sump design I came up with for my new system, its made from a 50 breeder. I dont like the idea of dumping raw water into the refugium and having everything that comes from the overflow piling up in there, so my skimmers (EV120) return water will be the only water the fuge sees. Fuge walls are 13" on the left and front panels and 12.75" on the side towards the return pump so it overflows right onto the pump, this is also keeping me from skimming water that has just been thru the skimmer. Water level in the sump is going to be run at 11". It is also giving me a 30"x7" area to house a frag rack.

I realize that the skimmer I am using has a pretty small footprint, but the idea could be adjusted accordingly.

This setup gives me a approx 10 gallon fuge, and about 20 gallons of return section to keep fluctuations at a minimum.

 
G

·
You can get away with 2 if you want too...To utilize the water from your overflow, you could run it to a reactor of some sort...Maybe 2 of them...Carbon & Phosban....DIY for cheap....You skimmer I'd return to the fuge...I run mine though a tube with small holes in my refuge...Gets me a mild flow right on the LR rubble...Keeps no bubbles in my fuge & very slow mellow flow.....I'd do a bubble trap before your return pump still , & use BB in a filter bag...or build some sort of tray that will slide in your Bubble trap & slide out holding the BB....Only problem I see there is just make sure you have room for your tank to syphen back...If the water line rises where your skimmer is you will over flow your collection cup....
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top