Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was reading the kids were high and drunk and likely taunted the big cat that got loose.

did they get what they deserved? or is that a bit harsh to say?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It is an interesting question that I am sure the courts will ponder. Certainly they have some percentage of cause. Having said that those Cats are not suppose to be able to get out. In our society I bet the Zoo gets the shaft. After all they should have expected a bunch of drunk teenagers hanging their legs over the wall and throwing things at the tigers :rolleyes:

If I were on the jury I would find for the kids award them $3 million each then assign 80 percent of the blame to the kids. Then find for the Zoo in its counter claim for the loss of its Tiger and give the zoo the $600 thousand they just got plus what ever is left. Whats a full grown tiger worth these days, $5 million????? So the kids would end up owing the zoo.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
the cats shoudnt be able to get out... BUT they never did untill now.. why now... animals will do about anything if they feel they are threatened.. doesnt matter if they were not suposed to get out.. even if the fence was taller i bet they still would have.. three larger people yelling and jumping up standing on the fence and such... totally kids fault.. but ya know how stupid most people are they will say oh my kids did nothing wrong they are perfect little angels...

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I feel that they got what they deserved. The cat didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

I also agree with the weekly public feedings-devil 2

·
Registered
191 Posts
hell yea if they were tanting it they got what they deserved. it would be like trying to grab a lionfish out of our tanks wiht our bare hands or, more to the point, trying to tickle a blue ring knowing the repurcussions.:eek:

you get what you put in, the law of the reefer. -devil 2

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I find interesting about it is the tiger tracked those two kids about 300 yards, and mauled them. The one kid was injured so she probably tracked him by the trail of blood, but those kids ticked her off enough that she ran them down and mauled them. To me, this should be an eye-opening experience for all zoos. If provoked enough, they can/will do whatever it takes to get out of their enclosure, and I'm not sure that another couple feet of fence would have made much difference.

I think the kids that survived got what they deserve and maybe they will think twice now before they taunt an animal. It is unfortunate that the one kid died, but accidents happen when you act like an idiot. I do feel bad that the tiger was put down though, when she was just reacting like any wild animal would.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wolverine said:
Or make sure you have at least one friend who's slower than you are. :D
I agree with this one 100% make sure you have a Buddie that you don't like that is slower than you to slow the beast down LOL :D -devil 2

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There is some speculation that it may have climbed up the one who dieds leg. They are pretty sure he was hanging it over the wall. That the cat may have jumped and grabed his leg to lift himself out of the enclosure. Now how stupid do you have to be to hang your leg over a wall in a tiger pen. We will have to wait for the trial though, as the Zoo is clamming up on what it knows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think anybody or any animal deserved to die from this incident. The young men should *not* have been taunting the animal (and who in the world thinks of smoking pot, doing shots of vodka and going to the zoo on Christmas day as a fun activity? Sheesh...), but the zoo has a responsibility to protect the public from the animals it is keeping on the grounds, and vice versa. The young men are certainly not blameless in this incident - which contradicts the first reports after the mauling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kenbow19 said:
So, all of you that Tap the glass at the shark tank deserve to been thrown in right;)
I don't think anyone said anything that would lead to be thrown in a shark tank. These guys determined their own fate, no one pushed them.
The parallel would be if you were standing on top of the exhibit and taunted the shark by throwing metal washers, to the point it jumped higher then anyone at the zoo thought it could and attacked you…and only you. In which case again you get what you deserved.

Should the fence have been higher, yes. Should everyone know not to throw metal washers at any living thing, especially a large tiger, yes. Both the zoo and these idiots are to blame, unfortunately the only innocent victim is the tiger.
I put these morons up for the Darwin Award and I go back to my original point of view,
If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts