Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So if you've read my other post i will be upgrading a 150w coralife clamp halide on my 24g nano... I love my tank and i've got lots of zoos and other things growing but now is my chance for some sps!!!

My main rock in the middle of the tank has become dominated with zoos of all colors... they look group but i would like to remove a good amount of them for room for some sps!

The question is, what is the best way to remove these zoos from the rock, i can not take it out of the tank and they are attached to the rock itself.. Do i scrape them? pull them? pluck them? hehe

Also. I have a large blueish green Acan that has gotten pretty large and attached to another rock in the upper corner. I would like to frag him but i take it that would involve breaking the rock he is attached to becuase of his skeleton. He has doubled, prolly trippled in size and id like to knock him back into reality and show him whos tank this is -devil

·
Registered
788 Posts
well unfortunately you have to cut all of them away if you are interested in opening up space. If they have had enough time to spread a large amount, they have been spreading on the coraline coverd rock. So you can either take a dremel witha diamond blade and start cutting stuff out, move that rock off to the side and buy a new center show piece (if you have room) or you can always sell it or trade it to the fish store for credit. If you do that you can take a chunk of the zoos off the rock and save it, then re-grow it somewhere else. But the down side is you can't pull or pluck them off... they need to be cut loose or that chunk of the rock must be broken off in order to clear up the space. as for the lord, it's the same situation, UNLESS it's not attached well, and you can pull it loose, and may be risk loosing a few heads at worst (from the edges)

·
Registered
800 Posts
sell the rock and replace it with a new platform rock.
or, place a new platform rock on top of it.

Show us of a pic of this zoa covered rock!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
if you do try to pull or scrape or cut the zoas out, please be careful and wear protective equipment... you do not want them squirting you in the eye...

·
Registered
313 Posts
bklynmet said:
if you do try to pull or scrape or cut the zoas out, please be careful and wear protective equipment... you do not want them squirting you in the eye...
Yah, be careful those things are VERY poisonous. I smashed a couple polyps a few days ago with my finger, on accident, and had a cut on that finger. I felt really sick for about 12 hours. I have heard that tribes around the world use these guys for the poison on their darts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Frozn said:
The question is, what is the best way to remove these zoos from the rock, i can not take it out of the tank and they are attached to the rock itself.. Do i scrape them? pull them? pluck them? hehe
um, why can't you take it out?

I've not done this before, but even if you were to try cutting them off the rock in the water, wouldnt' that contaminate the water for everything left in there?

I've heard to do it in a container of water, but that the water would be contaminated after so it muct be dumped after that.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pictures

The reason i can not remove the rock is it holds up 3 other and it is huge. I am not going to disassemble my tank. Suppose i will just cover the ones i cannot remove.

They rock isnt nearly as covered as it was a month ago. I had fraged nearly every coloney i had to give to my girlfriends father.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also the dead plate coral in the bottom left is loaded with babies!! This is what he used to look like

·
Registered
316 Posts
That looks awesome if you ever want to get rid of some I'll take em :)
Also, I heard you can use a chisel and pry some off while in the tank, using the chisel like a scraper.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just rub it in :( :( :(

I would love a bigger tank, but going to school full time an hour away and working just dont have the money or space really

*edit* altho im sure if i found a good tank and what not i would make space lol

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You have a beautiful tank- so beautiful, I would learn to frag, be a bit patient, keep the tank going and start another one sps when you have more time to devote to it. JMO. If you were closer I would volunteer to help you out fragging. You could pay alot of your sps tank off just by fragging things you already have and selling them once in a while. Hope someone in your area will help ya figure out fragging! Its not as hard as it might sound, just be safe, and use proper tools/safety equipment when doing so.

I just got the guts to try fragging zoas in the last couple days (using what I have read only) and it wasnt really that hard. I didnt exactly use the proper equipment to do so. I had a scare that wouldnt have been necessary, although everything turned out fine. Get some rubble rock, use proper protection (can be found on this website somwhere) Take a razor blade or 2, use the raxor blade tho cut through the live rock just underneath the surface of the rock under the zoas a few at a time. The zoas will be concted by a tissue, which ya cut in betweeen polyps, to make frags. With these frags ya removed, superglue them to a peice of rubble rock. I found it eisier to cut under them through the live rock with a razor glade just a few at a time, rather than a big amount. Just continue the process till you have removed the desire amount. Ya might kill a few here and there, but if ya got enough of them, and they are worth split up more than ya paid, and they spread pretty good, then the few that ya kill are worth the experiance ya gain giving it a try. The first couple layers of rock under the zoas is pretty easy to cut through with a razor blade.

If ya really want to try to frag them- my advice- give it an honest try. If it doest feel comfortable, stop and try to find someone who will show ya in person. You have some pretty zoas, I am sure someone will show ya for a frag or two to take home. Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
lots of comments, but no one commenting on the biggest question,

can he frag in his main tank, without removing this rock being fraged?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
swampjeep said:
lots of comments, but no one commenting on the biggest question,

can he frag in his main tank, without removing this rock being fraged?
as long as there is room inside the tank its not a problem.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea. My only problem is the size of the large rock. I can take the smaller ones out and work with them, but the large one well that requires more then i want to do. I would do it, but i just dont want to have a problem taking so much out at 1 time.

Thank you all for the nice comments, I love my tank and cant wait to get some more sps in it. Im sure ill figure out a way to get more shelving and what not.

Also thanks for the in depth reponse on a possible way to frag, If i can get the layer of rock under the zoos that would be perfect!!!

I will be trying this very soon. Can wait for the halide to get here tho hehe

Possibly going to go to the lansing frag swap and pick up some of them nice sps's i saw on the swap post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts