Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been very busy in last couple years due to my second daughter gettting born, two new jobs etc... Long story short with this new job my stress level has been alot lower and I have alot more free time on my hands.
During the course of last couple years, my tank has been on life support, I fell behind all maint possible on it. I lost pretty much all the coral that I had (wasn't much but still) and few fish over the course of last couple years.
So yestoday I cleaned and got my skimmer going for the first time, cleaned the filters, got another power head going, today I'm planning to do a good 35% water change.
any other recomandations to get this thing back on track?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congrats on the new munchkin and the new job!

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things!
What shape is the tank in, and what type of problems does it have now? Where do you want to go with it concerning coral and fish?

If I had to guess....new bulbs in the light, a sea hare for the algae, some kalk paste and a few peppermint shrimp for the aptasia... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently ran into the same problem. For about 6 months I let my tank go.

What I ended up doing is not only doing about a 50% water change is also replacing some of the older lights. I'm running 2 t5s and it was long overdue for some fresh lights in there.

After I did that I started seeing results in just a couple of days. I'm still holding off on adding anything new to make sure everything makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tank is actually in ok shape for how long I've let it go, there is minimal algae, but a bit of aptasia, sand bit yukky.

and yes lights are pretty old, couple of my t5 bulbs are actually burnt out, planning to stop by atlantis and pick up some bulbs and couple shrimp to assist me with aptisia killing. Luckily I left my halide off for last year so the bulb is less then a month old in it.
any suggestions on how to get my sand bed clear again? its about 2-4 inches deep so I'm afraid to syphon it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the 30g water change brought my nitrate down from 80 to 40, went on a killing sphere on aptasia while water was down a bit, and found out that my bulbs weren't burnt out but I have a bad balast for 2 out of 6 bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts