Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay what do I do if the power goes out and I'm not home . I have a 90 gal tank with a a 55gal refug . the over flow tha returns the water refug is the hang on one with the horseshoe looking tube that you have to siphon to get a started . so my question is if the power goes out for 10 minutes it Will quit siphoning . then when the power comes back on the pump will pumtp the 55 gallons of water from the refug to my tank then overflowing what can I do got this

·
Registered
535 Posts
Unplug the pump and watch what happens.

Just an FYI when I did this on mine as the level drops in the box in the tank the less water goes through the U tube. Eventually it will just stop as the lower water level vs. gravity is just to much. However, it will not break the siphon. When the pump starts back up the water level raises and it will start going all by itself we it gets to that certain height.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts

Typically in an overflow it will resume as long as the U tube does not suck air. The key is to make sure that your sump can hold the water at the overflow level. Another thing to be mindfull of is the back suction from the inlet. If it is low in your tank it will suck water until it draws air. In this type of system I will usually drill a small 1/8th hole where I want the waterline to be to mitigate back suction event and overflowing my sump.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
For this situation, I would get rid of the your current overflow and go with a CPR overflow with an Aqua Lifter pump which will start the siphon again when the power comes on. As for your return, drill a 1/8 in hole in the return tubing or pipe about a 1/2 inch down from the water surface. This will act as a siphon break when the power does go out. Just make sure your sump can handle the amount of water that will be siphoned back into the sump when the power does go out. Though, it sounds like it already can. This works and is how I have ran my 90 for 2 1/2 years. Also, keep an extra Aqua Lifter pump on hand just in case the one on your CPR overflow stops working. They are cheap, at most $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts