Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys i just bought a RO/DI unit the other day im going to hooking it all up tomorrow would like to kno how i go about hooking it all up.the RO unit is made by aquatic reef system and there are 3 lines on it red line green line and a black line what do all of those going to also it is a 3 stage unit.

thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
White is prolly the supply line, green I would guess would be clean water and black dirty, but.. without seeing it your guess is as good as mine.. The line going into the prefilters is supply, the line coming off the membrane houseing and going into the DI can is "clean water" and the line coming off from the mebrane houseing and going nowhere is the waste water line. If still wonderig post a pic or two. :3195: good luck!

Make sure you run like 50 gallons threw it before you use the water for your tank... best to rinse it out good.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That would be an RO unit.. RO/DI has a final DeIonizer stage added on. If it is used you can buy everything you need to refit it reletively cheap. (hope you did not pay an arm and leg, they can be pricey) There are a number of site sponsors here that sell filter packages for RO units and there is always ebay if you feel lucky. I would suggest a 10 micron carbon block, then a 1-5 micron carbon block, then a 75 GPD membrane unless you need a massive amount of water. You can buy a new flow restrictor with your new filters. I am sure one of the sponsors on here that deal with RO unit would be more than happy to go over all the fine details...

From the picture it looks like red is feed, green is cleanest, and black is waste (which is still fine for laundry, drinking, and plants). When you hook it up the most water pouring out will be the waste water line. Remember when you start a run to dump the first few minutes of water every time, that will be dirty or stale from not running... that is especially important if you have a DI stage and don't want to be changing your DI resin a lot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i only paid 35 for it and when i bought it i was told that is was a ro/di unit 3stage . so i was not told the truth then . do u have a place that u like to use to get all of your stuff from.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've used thefilterguys.biz in the past, was very pleased. Get in on the bulkreefsupply group buy and go with them, I've seen great customer service with their ro/di units on this site.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much flow should i get from the ro system out of the clean side all i get is a few drips and a ton of flow from the waste side ...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much flow should i get from the ro system out of the clean side all i get is a few drips and a ton of flow from the waste side ...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was getting about a gallon per hour when I was using one. If you aren't getting anywhere near that it could be do to poor water pressure. I'd also recommend a TDS meter so you can monitor your water quality, otherwise you'd never know how the filters are doing. They may already need replaced since you bought it used.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You'd need an RO membrane (the lower GPD ones are better since they have a higher rejection rate), a sediment filter, and a carbon block filter. To add DI you'll need a canister and I like the color changing resin (plus the required hose and fittings). I'd also add an inline TDS meter, preferably dual so you can hook it up to monitor the end product plus the water after the RO membrane.

This is the first time I've seen this thread with the thumbnails working, do me a favor and open up that top canister to see if there isn't DI resin in there. And that color changing resin would be no good for you if it is, since the canisters are not clear. Who in the heck would build a system that wasn't clear? I like to see all of my filters and resin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts