Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I own a SpectraPure Maxpure 90 GPD dual stage RO system. I use .5 micron carbon block filter and .5 micron sediment filter.

I change the carbon & sediment filters every 6 months.
I change the RO membrane every 2 to 4 years, or when my TDS meter starts to read higher readings, or when the pressure for my RO system dips lower than 40 psi.

My TDS meter reads 115 for the tap water entering the RO system, and reads 0 to .002 on the exit of the RO system.

My question is do I need DI for reef tank? I live in Grosse Pointe Farms and we have our own water filtration system. I'm going to assume our water is similar to Detroit city water.....which is real good water compared to other parts of the country.

People might ask how is your tank doing with just RO. Tank is fine but I don't have delicate or many different corals. Mainly mushrooms & zoas with lots of live rock and a multitude of reef safe fish. I may want to try other corals in the near future, but not really interested in adding DI to my RO system in order to expand into other corals.

Are there people on this forum using Detroit city water with just RO filtration and having success with different corals and reef tanks without DI water?

Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I used to use Detroit water straight from the tap for my tanks without any issues. It wasn’t until I got into higher end/more expensive corals did I switch over to a RO unit like you’re using now then eventually to a RODI. So yes I was able to use a RO only unit without issue and successfully keep SPS and LPS. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your replies....it helps!

If anyone else wants to chime in....please feel free.

Someone on this site had mentioned to me in a previous conversation that even though my TDS meter reads real low coming out of my RO....DI does something more filtering the water that a TDS meter can't read that might affect corals

That's one of the reasons I posted this

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I live in Lansing. I have been using RO water for over 2 years and had no issues, like other people in the forum have suggested RODI would only make a difference for those delicate corals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts