Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm in the beginning stages of getting a tank going. Started to cure 60 lbs of dry rock (my LR from 10 years ago). Not sure on tank size yet. Kicking ideas around for a 50-120 gal range. In the mean time I'm curing what I have.

So my question is if i don't use all the rock will I have to recure it later or can I store it dry and use it right away?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Started to cure 60 lbs of dry rock (my LR from 10 years ago).
...if i don't use all the rock will I have to recure it later or can I store it dry and use it right away?
Depends on what you mean by cure. did you measure an ammonia spike a few days after you put the rock in water?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly not sure. Im putting rock in a rubber maid container with fresh water, heater and a pump. Planning on washing rinsing and putting RoDi adding salt and putting the rock back in for a long period of time. 4 months or so, most likely longer. I'm still working on getting a tank.

If anyone as any good links on curing rock it would also be helpful.

My understanding of curing was glensing the rock of any harmful bacteria/unwanted items and getting ready to start good bacteria.

I'm not using any bleach or acid.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I honestly not sure. Im putting rock in a rubber maid container with fresh water, heater and a pump. Planning on washing rinsing and putting RoDi adding salt and putting the rock back in for a long period of time. 4 months or so, most likely longer. I'm still working on getting a tank.
If you are interested in phosphate removal you could dose SeaKlear phosphate remover. Does a good job of drawing out bound phosphate without the acid.

You won't gain much if anything after that. Nothing wrong with a saltwater soak, and if there are still organics present (not likely after 10 years dry) bacteria would colonize. You would need to feed the vat to continue that growth if you desired.

I'd at least do the treatment. start with as predictable as possible.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts