Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there put their rock on their back glass? I have it set up not not but it looks goofy and was wondering if on glass was ok or not I have heard and seen both ways what do u all think

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
if you make a pile in the middle it will eventually hit the front or back when doing aquascaping or general cleaning.. might as well decide which you want scratched up. Dense heavy rock might even break it when falling.. (thin glass like a 29 gallon or smaller is more likely) I had some heavy duty tonga branch punch a hole in a tank before and a few I droped a rock in that broke the bottom.. not pretty. Acrylic will be scratched almost instantly when rocks enter the tank, so be careful with those. In well over 100 tanks I have dealt with only a small handful did not have the vast majority of the rocks against the back wall. Cannot think of any other than a few cubes that had no rocks against the walls, but those had the rock up against the center overflow....

·
Registered
653 Posts
In my 29 mine is against the back wall with a space at the bottom so I get circulation through there. I could only see keeping it off the glass in a tank that had more than 18 inches front to back

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have my rock as far back as possible because my tank is only 18" deep. However, I tried to keep it off the glass when I could. You want to make sure you have good flow on both sides of the LR.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have a few well placed rocks that are sitting on egg crate on the bottom of the tank. Started stacking in the middle and worked my way up and back, almost all my mid level rocks are touching the back glass with lots of swimming room underneath. But, they are very well supported and nothing in my tank or what i plan to add would be able to move them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have always kept my rocks off the glass, mainly because I dont want any dead spots. but I usually have less rocks than most, so its not the trickiest stack job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I placed my base rock in my tank then added crushed coral. I then stacked live rock against the glass so that I don't have any type of rock avalanche. While stacking I placed a power head at mid level against the glass and between my stacked live rock in order to prevent stagnant water. Works great and support is great!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts