Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Devon 
#1 ·
Reefers,

Has anyone kept Acropora for extended periods of time using Seachems Salinity? I've always used the salt but also, I've ALWAYS had issues keeping acropora. Call it bad luck, micromanagement issues, or what have you but one thing that remains consistent is that Salinity is a cloudy salt that leaves residue. Recently I've started letting my Salinity mix until clear (Which takes 3 days) and the amount of residue from the binders mixing out is absurd. I'm beginning to think that over time this has to lead to issues with the balance of trace elements in a tank or a large phosphate build up on my rocks.

Thanks
Ken B

#3 ·
I have never had any issues with Salinity. No cloudiness at all. It's clear within 20-30 minutes of initial mixing. They even suggest using the salt within a fairly short amount of time after mixing. I agree with Weimers that is must be something else. Have you had multiple buckets or is this your first? If the latter, I suppose it could be a bad batch... but they test every bucket and pride themselves on providing the exact information for each batch.

#4 ·
I don't keep sps, but I've used salinity for years and it been good for me. It does get cloudy at first for me sometimes. Sometimes I think it has todo with how much you add at once, but it always seems to funk up my mixing tank.
I've recently switched to aquaforest salt. First thing I noticed was how fast it mixes, in minutes it's clear without a funk. I haven't used the aquaforest long enough to have a opinion on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.