Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always used Instant Ocean salt from day one. For a while I was buying it in the bags that make 50 gallons or so. Then I bought the one in the bucket a few months back and it was fine. Well now I noticed that my last water change and now this one today is turning my water from crystal clear to a yellowy color as im mixing it. I then opened up my other bucket of the same stuff and it seems that its fine again. I use 100% ro/di water. I gues my question is does salt go bad over a period of time? Also would it be safe to use the water that is yellowish? I used it last time and the tank looked funky for a day but I think the carbon did its job. buutttt... I was just thinking about throwing the rest of that salt away or maybe us it to melt some ice outside :rolleyes: ! Pls any and all info apprieciated!

nick

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It shouldnt be yellow. Are you sure that your RO unit isn't making bad water? Are you on a well?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am on a well and my tds meter reading was at 4 so thats not to0 bad. Like I said when I first started using the same bucket of salt it was fine, but then a few months later it's looking pretty yellow when I use the salt out of that bucket. I opened a new bucket with another batch of freshwater from the same source, mixed it and its fine. ??

G

·
I personaly have never had any issues with it

are you making shure your bucket is closed all the way between waterchanges since it will absorb moisture and that could be were the yellowing is coming from if you bucket isn't beeing sealed all the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts