Michigan Reefers banner

Sand Sifting Goby in 65g with fine sand?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was thinking of adding a sand sifting goby to my 65g with fine sand. I've heard good and bad.
Good:
Keeps sand clean
Fun to watch
Stirs up sand
Bad:
Makes a mess
removes anything good from the Live Sand
Stirs up sand

What do you think?
Do you have one?
Does it require supplemental feedings?
Does it make a mess of your tank?
Anything to note?

Thanks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I love watching them sift the sand, they are very cool. However I no longer own one. Mine made a mess of my tank, all the sifting made my tank always look cloudy and he covered any coral that I had on my sandbed or low on my rocks. The rocks were left with a dust all over them. I would vote no. I increased the flow in my tank and my sand stays pretty clean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would vote no

I had one in my tank for 2 months or so and he made little sand mountains all over the tank and barried a lot of my corals as mentioned above. he was cool to watch and made lots of tunnels under my rocks in the sand! i would vote no if you have corals at all in your tank because he will try to bury any of them lol!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I used to have a Dragon Goby, awesome sand sifter and would make mini moutains of sand all over the tank. I thought it was cool to watch and was never bothered with the sand covering everything in a dust. However, I would say that if you have any corals that are on the sandbed or up to 6 inches off the sand. They may be covered at times and you will have to constantly blow them off. If you dont have any corals on the sand, I would say go for it. They are neat. There are several different sand sifting gobies, i.e. the Dragon Goby, Yellow Head Sleeper Goby to name a couple, and I think there is an Orange stripped one and all white one as well amongs others. Typically growth to the 4-6 inch length.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby in my 90g and he is pretty cool. I have never had a problem with dust on the rocks and I have some frags on the sanbed. the bigger ones are fine and they are usually OK, but they have gotten covered sometimes. It hasn't really bothered me too much. The only real problem I have had is that he will steal the smaller frags, that he can pick up in his mouth, and pull them into his burrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.