Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tiger striped serpent starfish, about 1 foot across, leg to leg... He hides behind the rocks when the light is on...never seemed to hurt anything. Though I'm suspecting he's eating my sea hares, I bought 1, it went missing after a few days, gave it two weeks, never showed up again, looked for it at all hours of the day and night...so I go..hmmmmmm so I buy another one, about 3 times bigger, and that one's gone now too....

Thought the green ones were the only ones that needed to be worried about. The only other things in the tank are 2 clown fish, bunch of small hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp, and several peppermint shrimp.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I picked up a sea hare as a hitchhiker. Didn't even know I had him for like 3 months. Just showed up one day. He'll disapear for like weeks at a time, then pop up again....

I have no idea where he hides...

To this day I don't know where he hides. Maybe yours is still around.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I had my sea hare, he would come out every couple of days, mostly at night. After 2-3 weeks of having him, I didn't see him again intel I found him on the sand bed with a huge cut on him. After wondering what killed it, I looked in my tank one night and found a huge hitchhiker crab in my tank, with part of the sea hare skin on the live rock of where he was living. Maybe you have a hitchhiker crab. Look around your tank at night, maybe you'll find one.
-Brandon

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll keep looking, I've got a new born baby so I'm up every 3 hours, and I get my flash light out and check around at all crazy hours of the night.... I'd kill for 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

G

·
I feel your pain dan I been through that a while back with the baby

I have read that any serpent star can actually be aggressive and hunt down small fish or slow moving creatures and eat them so it could possibly bee your star getting them

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Good thing my tank is in the basement.....the only way I will look at it at night, if I hear the overflow alarm in the sump going off......or Im feeding the woodstove.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or if you're coming to make sure I'm not doing something bad while I sleep on your cold floor since you don't have a place for a guest to stay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts