Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a purple tip sebae from greg at stingray about a week and a half ago. I stupidly didn't read up on anemones, looking for host for clowns, greg said they were not hard to care for but i have read different. My tank is new but appears to be already long done with cycling because no ammonia spike after adding the 2 clowns and a lot of other stuff. nitrate is fairly low, no nitites, calcium 400, alk. o.k. salinity 1.0235, temp 77-78.3. I feed the fish live brine, and the corals alternating every other day, cyclops and dt's. The anemone eats the brine, loves it. I have a 24g nano. I also have a metal halide light, but I haven't put it up yet. I am afraid to fry my mushrooms. The anemone is on the bottom in the coral substrate but he won,t foot anywhere. He just moves a little back and forth. One morning I got up and he was flipped over! I just fixed him. What should I do for care for him to survive? Should I just take him back? The clowns ignore him,and only one clown is hosting (my hairy mushrooms!) any help would be great..:D

·
Registered
360 Posts
I prefer to keep them in flower pots. Unless you have a real adventurous anemone they'll be pretty content in one,if supplied with its opinionated ideal flow. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes they're small desk flower pots. Made of ceramic. Unpainted.
Maybe 3-4 inches in diameter at most.
Tropicorium puts most of theirs in them on days of arrival.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You should feed your anemone mysis shrimp instead of brine. Brine shrimp has very little nutritional value. Feed daily if your lights are less than optimal. You can also mix in other meety foods, but always use small pieces (less than 1/4 inch). You should really consider using your metal halide. I run 150W MH on a 20 gallon and it doesn't bother the mushrooms at all. They are multiplying like crazy. Your anemone will do much better with high quality light.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
1st

different clowns host in different anemones if the anemone is not native to the clown area good chance it won't host it. plus if it's captive raised that changes things up to a sebea anemone is going to be pretty large in a 24 gallon tank I had on get to lrg for me in my 130. personly I like the flower pot lol works perfect even someplace for mom to lay her babies. below is a link to what clowns prefer what anemone one other thing yes they need light and very very clean stable water good luck oh just a a suggestion always take the time to do at least some research before adding a animal it's just a good habit saves allot of big headaches. ;) and most clowns are not hard to care for also most Anemones get the feeding needs from photosynthesis some about 80% and some people never feed them

http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Clowns_and_Anemones.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Deepbluescuba....dont give up on your sebae. Mine was found upside down at one point and I helped move him. Make sure you have some rock areas and crevices where he can sort of dig in near the substrate. When he finds a good spot he may even stay there for a quite awhile, mine moved once in 6 months. I agree with better lighting and mysis shrimp, although I only feed mine 1-2 times per week that way at the most. This creature will be needing to regain its zooxanthellae in order to truly survive. also, I have had Tomato Clowns and Clarks Clownfish host in them. Have a good weekend!

KB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the help. I am going to set up my 70w halide. I,ve been worried about a purple mushroom I bought because ever since he fell through a crevice in the rock and I rescued him he was shriveled up. He won't open fully now. I have him in a little plastic cup on the bottom. I was afraid he might be getting too much light. does anyone know where I can buy a little flower pot. Am I supposed to use the terra cotta clay pot?

·
Registered
191 Posts
deepbluescuba said:
I appreciate the help. I am going to set up my 70w halide. I,ve been worried about a purple mushroom I bought because ever since he fell through a crevice in the rock and I rescued him he was shriveled up. He won't open fully now. I have him in a little plastic cup on the bottom. I was afraid he might be getting too much light. does anyone know where I can buy a little flower pot. Am I supposed to use the terra cotta clay pot?
terra cotta works perfect. usually any flowr pot of that orangish clay, with no paint. be sure to clean it good under hot water and let it drip dry before adding, and dont use soap obviouslly. he might jst be in shock. how did u aclimate him? drop him right in? that can be a big issue especially with anens. water differences suddenly arent good from the water they were in in comparisson to your water as well. id hand feed a larger frozen type size krill for the anen for the first fw weeks to get him eating better. once every other day or so is a good idea. even digesting for these animals takes up energy as well- and if they arent getting proper light, feeding everyday will drain some energy. he might jst be tired form the move as well it takes alot for energy for thse gys to do anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got them at tropicorium. The owners son (i think) said the shipment was supposed to be wild caught trues, but he said they are not trues, they are wild occys. However I counted the spines on the dorsal and got 8-9. The one clown immediately (and I mean within 2 mins.) started hosting my hairy mushrooms. He checked out the anemone and got a couple of stings and has ignored him since. The other clown (which was hosting a brain coral at the store) didn't look good for about 4 days then he started to eat but still won't host anything. The healthier one is a little bit bossy and possesive of his mushrooms..

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
best anemone for trues or false are though I had a pair of domestic raised blacks that loved there sebae how ever latter I added a rose bubble and they forgot all about the sebae

Carpet anemone
Ritteri anemone
Saddle anemone
Bubble anemone

·
Registered
191 Posts
deepbluescuba said:
I got them at tropicorium. The owners son (i think) said the shipment was supposed to be wild caught trues, but he said they are not trues, they are wild occys. However I counted the spines on the dorsal and got 8-9. The one clown immediately (and I mean within 2 mins.) started hosting my hairy mushrooms. He checked out the anemone and got a couple of stings and has ignored him since. The other clown (which was hosting a brain coral at the store) didn't look good for about 4 days then he started to eat but still won't host anything. The healthier one is a little bit bossy and possesive of his mushrooms..
i got those as well from trop. ^.^ they arent true percs, its why he was selling them for so cheap, and i do believe they were capitve bred? i dont recall. either way, if they ARE wild, they sure as hell are the tamest clowns i've ever ran across...mine literally come to my hand and will "host" with it....and they hand feed. its tempting not to pet them lol. pretty cool lil buggers.

i dont think they will host in a sebae. i have a bubble tip in my tank and they have yet to host in that two weeks later....so idk. gunna give them more time, then see if i can put them on it by hand since they like it so much lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I was just at Michaels, and they've got tiny ones there, like an inch across, and get bigger from there. You could probably go to any craft store and get them :)

Also... make sure it doesn't get near the power head... i just lost mine on Thursday from that... The thing kept moving around in may tank and happened to find the power head. I had it all covered and everything, and some how, some way it managed to get itself lodged up there.

Also, my clowns never hosted in it, I have to 2 ocellaris and 2 nakeds. The one naked loved my torch though, lol. One of the nakeds got sucked up, ugh, same power head, and I got another one, and now neither of them touch the torch. The 2 ocellaris Clowns don't touch anything... They're kinda crazy like that. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kingkill83 said:
i got those as well from trop. ^.^ they arent true percs, its why he was selling them for so cheap, and i do believe they were capitve bred? i dont recall. either way, if they ARE wild, they sure as hell are the tamest clowns i've ever ran across...mine literally come to my hand and will "host" with it....and they hand feed. its tempting not to pet them lol. pretty cool lil buggers.

i dont think they will host in a sebae. i have a bubble tip in my tank and they have yet to host in that two weeks later....so idk. gunna give them more time, then see if i can put them on it by hand since they like it so much lol.
I didn't think they were that cheap. I payed $35 a piece. He said the clowns came in a shipment of 180 and half had already died and they were supposed to be wild trues but they weren't. The clown that hosts my hairy mushrooms actually bites me when I get too close to his mushrooms!

·
Registered
191 Posts
deepbluescuba said:
I didn't think they were that cheap. I payed $35 a piece. He said the clowns came in a shipment of 180 and half had already died and they were supposed to be wild trues but they weren't. The clown that hosts my hairy mushrooms actually bites me when I get too close to his mushrooms!
lol you msta got a diff batch from me though the whole not true percs thing sounds familiar? i paid 50 for my pair of them. however, unlike yours, mine dont host to anything. so, i guess we have a trade off, you got a hosting one, and mine only host to peoples hands and faces near the tank lol go figure. still love em though, they got their own lil personality thats worth a thousand words in one swish of movement. lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts