Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just got into keeping a 20g reef tank which is awesome. I love keeping animals that you dont ever get to see everyday. I just got a thought while I was at the fish store. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep a self sustaining system? Would I be able to keep a few poison dart frogs, with a small waterfall into a small pond? Would it be possible to keep plants and insects in the terrarium without me having to do anything? My goal is to get a system running and just watch what it does with nothing interfering it. Has anyone done this or attempted to?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
pinballwizrd315 said:
Hey, I just got into keeping a 20g reef tank which is awesome. I love keeping animals that you dont ever get to see everyday. I just got a thought while I was at the fish store. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep a self sustaining system? Would I be able to keep a few poison dart frogs, with a small waterfall into a small pond? Would it be possible to keep plants and insects in the terrarium without me having to do anything? My goal is to get a system running and just watch what it does with nothing interfering it. Has anyone done this or attempted to?
It is theoretically possible. But you would need an enclosure roughly the size of planet earth. lol

seriously thoughI have built tons of vivariums. I have had crickets breed in some of them which presents its own problems. You can culture wingless fruitflies but this is not self sustaining. You could just do some I-net searches for vivariums.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You can make things as automated as possible with terrarium/vivs... But if you are going to keep dart frogs, or other carnivores in there, there is no way to keep a sustainable food source in with them, they will wipe it out! Culturing a food source like wingless fruit flys is your only bet... i have even heard of people putting rotting bananas in their tanks, and letting the fruit flys come that way, but even then... the food supply with run out, you must interfere at some point...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sharkboy87 said:
You can make things as automated as possible with terrarium/vivs... But if you are going to keep dart frogs, or other carnivores in there, there is no way to keep a sustainable food source in with them, they will wipe it out! Culturing a food source like wingless fruit flys is your only bet... i have even heard of people putting rotting bananas in their tanks, and letting the fruit flys come that way, but even then... the food supply with run out, you must interfere at some point...
Yeah, the banana thing can create problems as well unless you like fruit flies flying around your house. Mold can also be an issue. It is a fine line between keeping the humidity high enough for the frogs while having enough circulation of air to keep mold from starting. Circulation equals escape route for winged fruit flies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts