Michigan Reefers banner
807 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  weimers75 
#1 ·
I kept a 20 gallon tank from 2007 until 2012ish, as chronicled here. That was a while ago, and I don't have any of my equipment any more, so this will be a completely new start.

I am thinking I want to keep things simple again, but I want to go with a a somewhat larger footprint and want to do a better job of planing ahead. want to at least double the water volume, but keep approximately the same amount of livestock as I did in the 20. I'm presently thinking no sump or active filtration, but rather live rock and a deep sand bed.

I only want to keep 2-3 small fish (to be determined, but I like six line wrasse) and a small number of corals, also yet to be determined but it will be either mushrooms and other easy softies OR some mushrooms and a couple LPS like trumpet or frogspawn.

Thoughts? I was originally thinking a system with an overflow/sump, but that drastically increases equipment and costs. If I do embark on this, my first purchase is going to be an RO unit so I do not need to continuously buy water.

Thoughts are welcome.

#2 ·
a new tank?
Nose Cheek Smile Eyebrow Mouth

Just suggesting here - if you want a deep sand bed a 65 gallon tank may be perfect. more than double, sure, but the same footprint as 40 or 50 breeders, and won't seem buried in sand.

and while it will increase your costs up front if you can find one with an overflow I'd get it even if you don't use it with a sump. if nothing else it'll make water changes stupid simple and efficient. drains only the most polluted water without starting a siphon.

HTH, and welcome back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.