Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I looked in on my newly obtained Sex Shrimp I noticed many floating objects in the tank. I took this picture and realized that the floaters must be larvae from the shrimp but I haven't seen any molt in the tank. Since it looks like there are eye stalks on this larvae I'm wondering how old these are. This morning when I turned on the light there were many more than last night. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.
Plant Purple Underwater Water Tints and shades

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
LOL Zach - if there are babies there must have been sex, right?

Yeah, shrimp often breed and release larvae in captivity. The almost impossible part is getting them to grow up. Too many things eat pods in a tank, and those are about the right size for corals, worms, amphipods, hydroids, anemones, etc to make a tasty snack out of.

Enjoy watching them while you can, and it's fun to try to get them out and raise them even knowing that you probably won't see any adults. (you could get lucky though :) ).

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had five sexy shrimp (managed to catch 3 and trade them in; still have 2) and never got any of them to spawn (I wouldn't have saved them or anything, but good for feeding the tank). I read that you can sex them by checking their bands - males = solid band and females = split band - but all mine looked the same, so either I got all one sex out of five or that's really not true. I hope yours are breeding; that'd be a nice little treat for your tank. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts