Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting ready to start up my 125 w the constelation 72" t5 bulbs. i planned on doing an atoll set up w/ fine sand and monties and clams. i am transferring over my 5+ yo flame hawk, 5+ flame angel(he has learned how not to nip a clam(any questions how i unlearned this behavior, just ask) and my bi color dottiback. w/ clams i know the angels are out of the question. whats a good size show fish. i love tang's but most are ich monsters. so im contemplating a large blonde naso. any thoughts? i will have access to my 50 gallon at the end of the transfer to QT about anything to ensure the best possible chances. oh, and i planned on a small school of gren chromis and a diamond goby.

·
Registered
191 Posts
cronamator said:
i am getting ready to start up my 125 w the constelation 72" t5 bulbs. i planned on doing an atoll set up w/ fine sand and monties and clams. i am transferring over my 5+ yo flame hawk, 5+ flame angel(he has learned how not to nip a clam(any questions how i unlearned this behavior, just ask) and my bi color dottiback. w/ clams i know the angels are out of the question. whats a good size show fish. i love tang's but most are ich monsters. so im contemplating a large blonde naso. any thoughts? i will have access to my 50 gallon at the end of the transfer to QT about anything to ensure the best possible chances. oh, and i planned on a small school of gren chromis and a diamond goby.
tangs are ich monsters but a few cleaner shrimp would take care of the issue. just a thought. as for show fish, idk a nice wrasse that is reef safe? prolly not the showiest idea but im partial to them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wrasse you say?

i tried a scotts velvet wrasse and my flame hawk bullied him so bad i feared his demise so i qt'd him back to health and sold him back to the lfs for half credit. i too, love the wrasses. but it was too timid for some reason. now bear in mind it was in a 50 gallon but i had tons of live rock.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
IMO a 125 is on the small side for a large naso tang. For show fish really depends on what you want to keep.

Fewer large fish or more smaller fish? Anthias and Fairy wrasses are gorgeous.

What types of corals? If SPS angels can be nice additions but always at risk of picking.

Do you want inverts? Triggers can be awesome additions.

IMO if you QT tangs and you are pushing the aggression issues (lots of tangs together) ich is avoidable. Some like the zebrasoma tangs seems less prone to having ich issues then say the acanthuras tangs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
cronamator said:
i tried a scotts velvet wrasse and my flame hawk bullied him so bad i feared his demise so i qt'd him back to health and sold him back to the lfs for half credit. i too, love the wrasses. but it was too timid for some reason. now bear in mind it was in a 50 gallon but i had tons of live rock.
ya i know what you are saying ehre. my falco has a habit of picking on my fairy wrasse everytime he goes near him. good thing there is a ton of LR in there or theyd always be on edge. i hope the behavior dies down, its not real bad but i didnt think falco's were that timid- hes fine with everyone else being around but if that wrasse goes anywhere near him he gets pissed for some reason.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd have to agree and shy away from a large Naso tang just for size reasons. I had an 10-11" Naso in my 168 gal. with a 72x30 footprint and he used every inch of that tank. Wouldn't have wanted to go any smaller. I always really liked the personalities of my sailfin and purple tangs, however some people say they can get very territorial. As far as ich goes, I've yet to lose a tang to ich as long as it was previously healthy and eating well. Have you thought of a reef safe trigger like a blue throat? They always seemed to have a cool personality IMO. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
show size

i didnt think triggers were a good idea due to the clams and corals. i like the clown trigger, but i read they are way not reef safe. i considered the naso because its pretty, has personality, commands attention, isnt pesky, pretty hardy and not being of acanthurus species would be less prone to ich. purple tang is a viable option and im not completely opposed to said fish.

the atoll setup means on my 125 w/ dual overflows i planned on only stacking rock on the the two overflows leaving the rest for sun and surf! the middle was going to house about 3 or four clams. i planned 3 tunzes(left, middle and right) to ripple the sand slightly but concentrate the flow on the two thirds on up for the caps and high end monties i keep(leng sy, sunset monti, rainbows, supermans, etc) being said i planned on(considered lets say) about a 4-5" naso. i never overcrowd my tanks either as i care more for the coral side. i have 3 small fish in my 50.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Triggers like the blue throat, sargasm, crosshatch tend to be reef safe with the exception of inverts. Shrimp and cleanup crew can be picked off by them. I had a blue throat in a softie/LPS reef and he did great. ****** and pink tails can also be put in this catagory. Most other triggers I think are more prone to picking at things in reefs.

A purple tang would be a wonderful addition IMO. Does not get nearly the size of the naso and is a very colorful tang and hardy. IME smaller nasos can be less hardy. We had 6" naso in a fairly open 220 (72x24x30) and I often thought this might have been on the small side.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and the tang...

and a purple tang is less prone to ich? i was scared that they were in the powder blue category. i could do a powder blue as my experince level and understanding of them is spot on, but unfortunately i cannot run a qt large enough for one once i transition over from the 50 to the 125. and JSYK i havent lost a fish in quite some time. most of my fish live 10+ years. i had an atlantic blue and a yellow for 10+ years. i would love the powder blue, but once i do the intitial QT and things "look" good the 50 has to come down and my QT goes to a 10 gallon med tank again. now this 50, after all is transferred i can treat the tang w/ ANY medication prior to, but IF something develops after im screwed. if this makes any sense at all;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the past...

in the past when ever i saw the slightest hint of something i would medicate food w/ seachem focus(nitrofurantoin)and seachem kanaplex(kanamycin) along w/ lots of garlic gurad and it would suffice w/o QT and/or medicating the tank. so what im asking is "can i get the tang i want and dose in the 50 gallon, wait and if nothing looks awry, transfer to the big tank and not fear ich?"

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
A purple tang is in the zebrasoma complex. Powder blues are in the acanthuras complex. Zebrasomas in my experience are very hardy and do quite well.

Obviously I am not saying purple tangs can not get ich just are less prone then other tangs (powder blue/achilles etc).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My purple got a bit of an outbreak at one point but since it was healthy and still eating like a pig I just let it run its course and it slowly disappeared and hasn't come back since...I got it from a fellow reefer and at the time I did not have a QT tank set up so it went straight to the display. My hippo on the other hand was a 6 month battle going from the QT w/ copper to the display, back and forth about 5 times before he quit showing signs of it. Talk about a pain...IMO you will have no problems with any zebrasoma species...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its what i heard as well...

i heard and read that hippo's are notorious for battleing ich. ive had a round or two w/ a yeloow tang in the beginning of this hobby over a decade back, but it resolved itself w/o medication or qt.

ok. so i will consider a purple tang. i still would love a naso though, but i'll have to wait and see. option B would be do away w/ the clams and get a large angel but my wife and i really love the clams we already have...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts