Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to take the plunge and give my anemone some shrimp...got the raw grey stuff, thawed it in some tank water, cut off about 3/4 inch or so, and dripped it onto the tentacles, BAM he sucked it in, sucked up and yea I'm like woo it's eating! well a few hours later, most of the shrimp is still in tact and it's laying on some LR now.... the anemone is about 4 inches across as I put the ruler above the water... it's an H. Magnifica.

I'm guessing this might be too much and that's why it was spit back out?

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Usually that meens the piece was too big. I would give it a day to rest and then try a smaller piece. About a 1/4 inch slice seems to work for mine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, it really only applies to large pieces of food, not large amounts of small stuff. DTs aren't a natural food for anemones. You should try mysis, or small pieces of raw shrimp or silversides. If the food just falls off the tentacles, then try something different. Sometimes anemones won't trigger their feeding respone foor foods they aren't used too. But if they grab on and try to eat, but spit it out later, then it is often a sign that the piece was too large for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts