Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so walked up too my tank a few times tonight and my clownfish was laying on its side on a cluster of zoas this is normaly where he gos when my moonlights turn on but this time he was on his side laying on them and i'v seen it happen twice now and it makes me think hes dead but when i get close to the tank an turn my light on he swims up too the side too greet me I'm new to this so I don't know if this is common or not also he has three little black dots on his tail fin don't know if this just started or I missed them awhile ago or what but ill be keeping an eye on him

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Is he doing this only when I day lights are off? If so, I wouldn't keep turning the lights on at random times. will cause stress and being this fish is new to your system, not such a good idea. The black dots are interesting, not ICH but, could be another parasite. I would keep a close eye on him and get a really nice, big picture. Upload it to photobuck and then copy and paste the link in the message box here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is he doing this only when I day lights are off? If so, I wouldn't keep turning the lights on at random times. will cause stress and being this fish is new to your system, not such a good idea. The black dots are interesting, not ICH but, could be another parasite. I would keep a close eye on him and get a really nice, big picture. Upload it to photobuck and then copy and paste the link in the message box here.
hes only laying there when the moonlights are on but I walked over an turned the day lights on and he went back too normal iv never seen a fish lay like its on a bed very odd too me and will do!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Clowns can be quite odd at times from what I hear. Again, when the daylights are off, I would keep turning them back on. Believe it or not, the instant light can stress some fish out and send others into a frenzy, some even jump out of tanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clowns can be quite odd at times from what I hear. Again, when the daylights are off, I would keep turning them back on. Believe it or not, the instant light can stress some fish out and send others into a frenzy, some even jump out of tanks.
I noticed my temp in the tank dropped from 77.9 to 75.3 so I turned up the heat in the house because it is very cold for once in here that might be the problem ? if so its fixed now :) still worried about the dots

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
clown fish are a different type of fish... they "host" or rub themselves on all sorts of things in captivity. Do you know what type of clown you have spiecies wise? A. Percula or A. Ocellaris commonly have black spots about their body, especially percs. The famale perc I had for over a decade had a lot of black spots on her.

But there is also a black spot disease you might want to look up and keep in the back of your mind. Not nessesarily common among clownfish, but it can happen. My clownfish used to host in my frogspawn and shrooms... would actually kill the frogspawn they were so actively hosting in it.. (annoyed me like crazy). It is a natural behavior, kinda like a security blanket for a fish programed to host in an anemone. It bothered me enough that I bought mine an anemone, but they ignored it for months.. lol.. finally went in it after about half a year and then would attack me if I went near it and would not leave for anything other than food.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Look up black ich. I dont have any idea if that is it but you know what the dots look like we dont. I also agree with Jesse leave the lights alone, how do you react while you're sleeping and someone turns the lights on? Clownfish is probably just sleeping.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look up black ich. I dont have any idea if that is it but you know what the dots look like we dont. I also agree with Jesse leave the lights alone, how do you react while you're sleeping and someone turns the lights on? Clownfish is probably just sleeping.
It's not an overly bright light its stock lighting on a 12gal nano cube dx they don't mind it much whenever i do turn on the light but i know that stresses them fish out so i try and keep to my light cycle and i believe they are percs and they do have a hosted nem but it isn't very big and for some reason chose to settle hangin sideways off the top of my large rock

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I noticed my temp in the tank dropped from 77.9 to 75.3 so I turned up the heat in the house because it is very cold for once in here that might be the problem ? if so its fixed now :) still worried about the dots
So, you dont have a heater in your tank? Going out on a limb here and going to say that you are going to have some serious issues with keeping live stock if you cant keep your heat controlled, especially when it comes to a nano of your size. The temp can fluctuate so rapidly. Also, I would consider finding the nem a new home until your tank is a bit more established you you have the husbandry nailed down.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, you dont have a heater in your tank? Going out on a limb here and going to say that you are going to have some serious issues with keeping live stock if you cant keep your heat controlled, especially when it comes to a nano of your size. The temp can fluctuate so rapidly. Also, I would consider finding the nem a new home until your tank is a bit more established you you have the husbandry nailed down.
I do have a heater and temp is back up too 77.6 now someone felt the need too crack my bedroom window in the middle of winter .... :fishslap:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a few clowns in my tank, one of which is very lazy... He lays on his side on the sand and relaxes on and off throughout the day... When he first started to do this I thought there was something wrong with him, but after 2 years of this behavior, know better now and he's stopped scaring me... The spots I'm not sure about however, so I would keep an eye on that, but just want you to know that clowns do have some odd quirks and behaviors...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a few clowns in my tank, one of which is very lazy... He lays on his side on the sand and relaxes on and off throughout the day... When he first started to do this I thought there was something wrong with him, but after 2 years of this behavior, know better now and he's stopped scaring me... The spots I'm not sure about however, so I would keep an eye on that, but just want you to know that clowns do have some odd quirks and behaviors...
thank you very much iv noticed he has been doing it off and on now I'm guessing just being lazy when the lights are out but iv looked more into the dots and i don't belive its any fourm of ick and the spots don't seem too be growing or spreading so I'm just going with there part of him and I just never looked that close enough to see them till now but ill still keep an eye out too make sure they don't grow or spread thanks everyone everythings looking good for now

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Perculas get more black with age/sexual maturity, so if you did not notice them before they might not have been there and it still is not nessesarily a bad thing. If it is a wild caught fish it could be 30 years old or more, starting to mature in the absence of a mature female, going to have a lot of changes to the behavior, size and possibly coloration.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perculas get more black with age/sexual maturity, so if you did not notice them before they might not have been there and it still is not nessesarily a bad thing. If it is a wild caught fish it could be 30 years old or more, starting to mature in the absence of a mature female, going to have a lot of changes to the behavior, size and possibly coloration.
well they are very small still my little babys can't grow up to fast LOL I still need too get a hold of a bigger tank for them before they out grow my 12gal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.