Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok For the first question I just started my skimmer reef octopus NWB-150 and Im not sure what it should look like... To me its a gazzillon bubbles which I know is what you want to move the non desirables to the top. But you want it to be "dry" correct? Not full of water... For the Fuge part i picked up some Chaeto (sp?) today and from reading on the net you dont want that to be stagnant you want to tumble it.. So I put the smallest powerhead I got in there a aqua 30 but it definitley blows that ball all over the place... Kinda tears it apart to so Im thinking maybe to much but Im not sure if there is a smaller powerhead... Not sure if the pix help hopefully they give you some idea...

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most people don't try to tumble their cheato, no real reason to. just have water moving slowly through it. When I got a big clump of it I'd often just turn it or pull it apart to expose more to the light but there's no reason to over think it.

Skimmers can produce wet or dry crud...depends on your skimmer and how it is adjusted.... and sometimes personal preference. Yours looks pretty good to me from the picture. as long as the bubbles are overflowing into the collection cup it's pretty much doing its job. But most of us end up having to tweak our skimmers for best results.

·
Registered
725 Posts
+1 ^

Skimmers are all different and it's just one of those things you have to play with for the first few days/weeks and then you pretty much just leave it set.

Also there is a break-in time and after that the oils and such from manufacturing are gone and it starts to work better and more consistent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.