Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, i cant sleep... and i got nothing better to do. So i figured id make this thread. Because it seems just about everyday we have someone on the market for a skimmer starting a new thread. Im not sure if this is the best way to this but i figured id rate each skimmer. Now, some of these skimmers i havent owned myself but i have seen tanks with them, and saw a descent amount of feedback on them.

Hang ons

Red sea prizm
Not a bad skimmer for a small tank, i definitly wouldnt reccomend what its rated upto. I probably wouldnt put this skimmer on a tank no larger than a 20 or 30g.
5/10

Seaclone
Doesnt seem to pull out as much as the prizm but not that much of a difference.
4/10

Aquac Remora
One of the better hang ons still nothing really special about this skimmer. It still houses a normal impellar, but usually pulls out a good amount of skimmate. Probably good for about 50g tank. The Pro you could probably work on a 75g or 90g.
7/10

Cpr Backpack
About the same as a prizm, no real difference in performance.
5/10 larger model 6/10

Tunze Comline
Pretty good hang on, also i wouldnt put these on to big of tank. Probably about the same as the remora, depending on model.
7/10

Btw, i rated these skimmers for smaller tanks. If i were to rate this for a say a 75g or 125g, a lot of these would not be getting 5's or above.

Feel free to add on your feedback and rating on a skimmer. Or skimmers that i missed.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
These are going to be a lot harder for me to rate because there are a lot of close comparsions to each other.

MRC Myreefcreations (Beckett style)9/10
I hear a lot good things about these skimmers, some say they can out perform a lot of better american made needle wheels. I think im going to try one out soon to see if it can out perform my ER. Downfall to these skimmer is they do require a more powerful pump, and i usually like to keep my electrical costs low.

PM Percision Marine (Beckett style)9/10
Very similar to the MRC, but it can be run more wet.

Aqua C (Beckett style)7/10
Similar model to the above two, but a lot have said there MRC was much better.

Fathom5/10
I believe this is a beckett style skimmer, i really dont hear to much about these, but ive never really heard to many good things about them.

They all give pretty accurate rating for theirselves.

I really havent heard much about
Lifereef's
or the Geo beckett style skimmer.

Euro-reef(Venturi, Needlewheel)9/10
A easy skimmer to setup.. plug in a play. Probably one of the most popular skimmers in the US. Ive learned it is not the best out there. But probably one of the best american made skimmers.

ASM(Venturi, Needlewheel)8/10, a lot of others probably feel 9/10
Uses the same pump as the ER, but they use very cheap acrylic, some say it doesnt make a difference. But a lot that say that havent owned a ER. I haved owned a asm. But whenever i see they collection cup its doesnt look near as great as a ER. ER definitly has more accurate rating for their skimmers than these. They seem to be a little overated.

Geo(Venturi, Needlewheel)
Also, uses the exact same pump as the two above, havent really heard to much about this skimmer. Not sure if they use that nice of acrylic or not. The collection cups usually look a little better than the asm.

Turbofloter (Venturi, Needlewheel)6/10
A descent skimmer but probably one of the least effecient needlewheels. But better than a lot of the standard style skimmers like the berlin. Overates too.

Macro-Aqua(Venturi, Needlewheel)6.5/10
Maybe a little bit of a step up from the turbofloter but overall about the same. They seem to rate pretty high for tank volume.

Red sea Berlin3/10
One of the worse insump skimmers avaliable on the market, it uses a very week pump, and there really isnt anything special about what it uses.

Kent nautilus3/10
About the same performance as the berlin.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
European skimmers(My favorite)
In my eyes these are in a elite category of their own.
I figured id put them in order from best to worse, but i think they are all better than Euro-reef. I think all use the needlewheel style impellar because of electricity costs in Euro. Or maybe becasue it is a more elite design... Im really not to sure myself.

Bubble king, probably the best skimmer money can buy. But its not cheap!

Grotech maybe just as good or followed closely behind

H&S only this skimmer and BK use titanium needle wheels im not to sure about the grotech's. ER orginally copied their design off this skimmer, and just about everyone that has owned both, say this outperforms ER.

Deltec, about the same as the H&S. I recently found out. That they use a plastic needlewheel. The company says it does not make a difference. But i still think otherwise....

All of these skimmers usually are affordable to the average reefer wanting to keep a tank. But they are definitly worth the money.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably missed a lot, i will probably be able to think of more i missed. :rolleyes:

Also, i probably rate the Insump skimmers later, just to lazy right now.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Uses the same pump as the ER, but they use very cheap acrylic, some say it doesnt make a difference. But a lot that say that havent owned a ER. I haved owned a asm. But whenever i see they collection cup its doesnt look near as great as a ER. ER definitly has more accurate rating for their skimmers than these. They seem to be a little overated.
I don't understand why the cheaper plastic would make a difference in the skimmate. I have an ASM and have to empty the cup daily. Thick black goo each day.

I also know someone on the board who runs a ASM G-3 on his prop tank and an equivolent sized Euro on his display tank and feels the ASM pulls more. On top of that he likes the fact that he paid $200 less for the ASM.

I would say that the ASM is as good as a skimmer, since they are made the same, other than the plastic. Remember the same person that use to be one of the owners of Euro makes the ASM. so I'm sure he is using the same design and same performance.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Tunze Comline
Pretty good hang on, also i wouldnt put these on to big of tank. Probably about the same as the remora, depending on model.
7/10
My 3115/2 smokes the hell out of my old remora. The remora was not bad (especially with a few tweeks) but the 3115/2 produces an unbelievable amount of foam!

·
Registered
925 Posts
my euro-reef es5-2 rocks. the first day i plugged it in it started pulling skimmate out that my aqua c remora pro didn't.

it pulls the darkes skimmate that i've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They arent that bad of needlewheel, they really arent that far behind ER in performance, definitly better than those cheapo needlewheel brands out there. But the plastic seems to have a lot of mixed opinions about it. Sorry, im not try make my opinion sound like absolute, and everyone seems to have a different one on this, and mine is just one.

Supposely ER uses extruded acrylic, which has little ripples on it. Which is suppose to catch the bubbles easier. The owner of ER said the plastic makes a 30% difference, but i find that hard to believe. But i still believe it makes a difference, judging by all the collection cups ive seen....maybe thats partly one of the reasons why asm charges so much less.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Well here is my take on it:

Euro-reef skimmer: Great product for the money and I have owned a few of these.

Pro's: Out of teh box performer! easy to tweek and adjust. easy to clean and service. price is good for the performance of teh skimmer.

Con's: plastic needle wheels have a tendency to get chewed up over time and this decreased the skimmers performance. I always had an extra needle wheel on hand with these. the sedras are noisy and use a fair amount of wattage in the bigger models but my main complaint was the noise and space they take up in a sump.

Over all: a great skimmer for the money! news is that Euro is switching to a new pump that will draw more air and be more energy efficient.

Grade A-

ASM skimmers: Essentially a Euro-reef by another name. another solid product for the money and actually a bit better for the money than a Euro-reef. Same issues though.

Grade A-

Remora Pro hang on: A poor product IMO. I had one that I could not get to pull out even wet skimmate.

Pro's: Well it's a hang on for those who require one (and I did)

Cons: difficult to get to perform. Skimmer used a mag 3 pump and I also had the over flow box with it. The overflow box was attached to the pump using nylon screws to hug it in place. Well this kept falling off and taking the pump with it! Price is outrageous for what you get with these things!

Overall: A weak skimmer and priced to high for what you get!

Grade C

Deltec MCE600: A little beast!

Pro's: A hang on with out of the box performance similiar to a Euro-reef! Rated at 150 gallons this is the hang on that could LOL. It skims like a champ and is easy to service and adjust. Also comes with a media chamber for carbon if you want to run ozone though it! another plus!

Cons. Small collection cup (it is a hangon) and price. At just under 500.00 it is the most expensive hang on skimmer on the market.

Overall: If you demand performance and need a hang on because of tyour set up then this is the skimmer. A little pricey but if you have SPS or a heavily stocked tank this is the best bet for the buck!

Grade A-

H&S A200 external (eheim pumps)

A beastly skimmer built like a tank! I will edit this after I get a chance to run this baby full on in a few months!!!!

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
CPR SR6-
Uses a Rio Pump,I used one for a few years on a 180 and could never get much skimmate

Grade D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Macro-Aqua(Venturi, Needlewheel)6.5/10
Maybe a little bit of a step up from the turbofloter but overall about the same. They seem to rate pretty high for tank volume.

if u clean the neck every two to three days the macro will pull a 2 liter of black skimmate in the same amount of time, i agree it takes some tweaking but it is a workhorse if u keep it clean

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'd give the ASM skimmers an A, although I must admit I have not much to compare against. My first skimmer was a piece O junk. (WON75)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wonder...

Has anyone tried a Red Dragon pump (the bubble king pump) on a ASM skimmer? The only technical difference I can see between the two is the bubble king has an air diffuser plate with cone shaped holes vs the ASM just dumps the air/water mixture in via a 90 degree elbow.

Maybe the better pump is the key to the bubble king performance, not so much the rest of the design?

Brett

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can definitly agree, that the pump you use makes the biggest difference in the skimmers performance. But if your going to drop 1g on a pump, why not just buy the whole skimmer. ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Aqua C urchin

Has anyone had any experience with the Aqua C urchin? It's essentially the remora but in an in sump configuration.

I'm trying to decide between a Euro-reef CS80 and an Aqua C urchin. Price-wise I can get the Euro-reef a bit cheaper right now, because marine depot has them onsale for $198. The Aqua C Urchin I would want to get with a Mag-drive 3 and would run around $240 (normal price for a Euro-reef?)

Any input would be much appreciated.:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sean,
I know you are a Guru about skimmers, What do you think about CA skimmer, I got This one from E-Bay last night this is what the guy says about it:
Quote:
This is the Best Protein Skimmer on ebay or anywhere on the Net UP to 150 Gallons of Amazing Skimming capacity. Unit is Brand New - Factory Sealed in box. Plug and play ready to go upon arrival. So you want a protein skimmer for your marine reef tank. You have most likely looked around and found out the same things I did. You need to take out a second mortgage to afford a functional skimmer. I am an aquarist and I know EXACTLY what you mean. Yes, I purchased one of those "affordable" skimmers (actually six of them), and after six months of total frustration I gave up. That is when my search led me to find the CA-Skimmer!
It works, it really works, I get tons of that dry foam that they talk about on the chat boards. Something I never saw with those other skimmers. It took me 10 minutes to set up and adjust. It has been in constant operation ever since. This thing works FANTASTIC.

I do have one of those over priced Euro skimmers to impress my Reef Central friends, however, this skimmer makes the fish and corals happy and that IS what it is all about. Check out these bubbles.
Here are some of the features you'll appreciate: TURBO VENTURI design eliminates the air stone ! Designed for Pumps from 600- 850 gph. For aquariums up to 150 US gallons Does NOT require constant adjustments like some of those other manufactures Simple but Effective Engineered Design, virtually nothing to break or fail! This is a REAL skimmer and NOT A TOY like others in this price range. Collection cup is large to catch all of your tanks waste. Dimensions: 26 inches tall and over 6 inches in diameter. Comes with adaptor rings to attach almost any pump or hose to the skimmer intake manifold. Instructions are included in box

Link to see the picture.
http://www.aquauniverse.com/compone.../category_id,39/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,31/

What do you think ?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts